Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it possible to change your MAC?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:00 pm 

I set my wireless network, changed passwords, set WEP and yadda yadda. Then just to be picky I set MAC filters on my wireless router. Then it hit me: Can someone change his MAC address so no longer are in my banned MAC list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:58 pm 

In know that you can change your MAC address if you want but if you already have your NICs mac address used in your router the other MAC address will be disregarded. If your computer is not on, and your mac address is not used, someone could change thier MAC address to spoof yours. I am not sure but I think that would work.. I know it is possible to change you NIC's MAC address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:56 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Certain WiFi card companies added the ability to change the Mac address of the card. There were only a few and the only one that comes to mind was the original Orinocco Classic Gold card.

Keep in mind though, if you change your Mac address one too many times Windows XP might get pissy and tell you to reactivate (if that's your platform)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

98% of the time no, you cannot change your MAC addy. This is because the MAC is burned into the ROM chip of the device at the factory. Everything is hard set, so if anything you would be "virtually" changing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:31 am 
Networking with a passion!
Networking with a passion!

128 bit Wep should be enough to keep peeps out of yor wireless net...

www.dalantech.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:58 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Can you change your MAC address on Some cards, and your router? Yes.

is it possible to have someone else change theirs to spoof yours, thus causing a problem? Yes - however for there to REALLY be a problem with that - that person would have to be using the same ISP as you and be in a close enough range that the servers they connect through are the same as you.

Furthermore, many - many - of the broadband companies are now also recording information from your broadband modem, which cannot be changed or spoofed (currently) - so the chances of having someone mess with your internet connection is pretty darn remote.

Now if they are attempting to hack your WEP encryption - and somehow get access to your MAC address - then ya that could cause you problems...

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about my MAC address so much as my WEP address - for less than 50 bucks I can (and for sheer geek fun - I have) picked up the items that enabled me to use my laptop to track, find, and hack my own 128-Bit WEP encryption key and gained access to my Internet account.

In order to ensure that this cannot happen, you should change your WEP encryption on a regular basis... Or if you want to ensure security - invest in a more secure wireless solution (:lol: which for most of us is just not worth the money).

Let me know if you have any other questions - You'll find me most often in the Folding Forum.

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:11 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yes, there are a few ways to edit your MAC address.

However, MAC addresses only exist on the same segment -- that means that in order to gain access to your network they have to be on your network. With WiFi, this is an issue because anyone who is within receving/sending range can access your network.

However, someone from the internet will not be on the same segment as you, and you are secure.

But since someone could theoretically guess an allowed MAC address and access your network, I'd recommend a strong WEP key.