Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless Setup??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:21 pm 

Not sure if this needs to go in the hardware section or not but here I go...

I am not stupid when it comes to networking but I am trying to switch my home wired network to wireless network and have never done this before. I know I am behind the times, but I have never needed to go wireless. I have never had a laptop and my computers have always been in the same room.. Anyway, I just recently moved and a new apartment and the whole place has one phone jack, and of course our computer room is on the other side of the apartment so too get my DSL connection up would require a long cable on the floor (which is the current solution) or wireless. So I am looking into a wireless network and I have been having problems with the best why to set up a network from scratch. I have 3 computers that need to be hooked up on my LAN and they are all within like 10 feet of each other, so I cant justify buying a wireless NICs for each one. So what I thought was to buy an access point and a wireless router with an X port switch on it and have the AP connected to the DSL and go wireless to the router and have all the computers on the switch. Like I said I am a little new to the wireless world so I am not sure if this is the best way to go./ I don’t have all the cash in the world so I would like to keep this as cheap as possible.. Any suggestions?
What kind of hardware is everyone using now-a-days?? Anything would be great help..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

As far as what brand HW people are using...there is another topic in this forum about that. the consensus seems to be Linksys, however, I use Dlink...anything will work.

Since you most likely already have NICs for the 3 PCs, I would think you could just buy two wireless devices, one for the DSL interface and one with enough LAN ports in the other room to conenct your wired machines together and transmit back. Now I'm not sure of the exact solution, whether you could get two WAPs or one router one WAP...I'm sure someone with knowledge in this area will jump in...but if it exsists, you should be able to get a WAP with one port for the DSL link, and a WAP with 4 ports for your PC room, just bridge the whole thing up..no router 'should' be necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:12 am 

That is what i thought. i really dont want to buy two routers.. All i need is something to replace one cable on my network.. I didnt think it would be hard to find a solution for this.. I am willing to fork out quite a bit of money for a top of the line router, But it is really hard for me fork out the money to get another device just for a DSL connection.. The only thing i have found is from buffalo

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 107&depa=5

but that is still $140 for a router that I am not sure I want.. Has anyone else switched to wireless for one cable??

Post subject: Wireless
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:40 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I have recently just "patched" two buildings together for my work so we could save money on Internet connections. We originally had Cable Internet running to both buildings but found we didn't even come close to using all the bandwidth. So we looked at ways to interconnect the buildings. What we ended up doing was buying a wireless B router for one building (where the cable was going to stay) and a wireless B access point for the other building. At first we ran into difficulty getting the router and AP to "talk" come to find out what was holding us back was Mac addresses. We where informed that our router had an "unrecognizable" Mac address that was keeping anything from talking to our ISP. What they suggested we do was Clone the Mac address on one of the computers that used to work on cable (every router wired or wireless is capable of this) after that we have had no problems we have been able to flawlessly make two separate wired networks one. You are basically doing the same thing, making the Internet fly through the air to a wired network. I hope this helps.
Specs: ZONET ZSR0104WE (router)
ZONET ZEW3000PF (WIRELESS AP)
If you or anyone else here needs more help or specifics you can contact me at network@lhsecurity.cjb.net

PS we used Wireless B because the internet will never reach or exceed 10mbps (highest I have see is 800Kbps not even a 10th of the capability of the router/AP) in our lifetime so save some money and go with something that been around a few years.

Post subject: Re: Wireless
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:03 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

idaiki wrote:
I have recently just "patched" two buildings together for my work so we could save money on Internet connections. We originally had Cable Internet running to both buildings but found we didn't even come close to using all the bandwidth.

:O Is that legal? I thought the terms of service for cable was strictly residential.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:22 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you can set up a wireless network for less than a 100 bucks and change, price watch for wireless routers at 40 bucks wireless pci cards, start at 9 dollars, most have enough plugs to even put some on a wired net, my lynksys 54g has 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:17 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

If you can't go Wired and wireless is your only solution, than I am in complete agreement with G.M. With one additional stipulation.

Personally - I like Netgear, but please ensure that your wireless access point and your Wireless Router of are the same Manufacturer. Even when the various companies have claimed to be compatible with each other, I have found this to NOT be the case in real-life practice.

I've also personally found that I achieve greater range and greater speeds with Netgear than with DLink or Linksys.

That being said - don't feel behind the times if you are still wired. Just because wireless is cool and relatively new in the overall scheme of things, it doesn't necessarily mean its best.

Wireless is not as fast at wired and its not as secure. Also its a probably a lot cheaper to string cable (if you can) than to run a wireless solution.

Keep that in mind when deciding.

Hope it helps - if you want more info - let me know - you can usually catch me in the Folding forums.

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!