Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router or XP machine as Firewall?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:24 pm 

It would seem obvious that a hardware router is a better choice than a dedicated PC running ICS, but I've had problems in practice.

I've tried 2 different wireless routers DLink & Linksys, but they always seem to breakdown when running P2P software.

At the moment, I have a PC running ICS and Norton 2004 IS hooked up to my cable, and have relegated the wireless routers to being access points.
But this is just a short term fix.

I want either a robust HW router w/ wireless, or as cheap a PC as I can get away with to be the firewall/router.

a) got a good HW router to recommend?

b) how simple and cheap a PC can I build to do this? How much processor, mobo & memory does it need?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:40 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Just curious if your requirement is for a firewall why are you looking at routers? why not a HW firewall?

I personally would NOT use a dedicated Windose machine as a firewall, its a waste, more expensive, and not sure it would do as good of a job as a dedicated HW firewall.

Post subject: Re: Router or XP machine as Firewall?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:15 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

JustHangin510 wrote:
I want either a robust HW router w/ wireless, or as cheap a PC as I can get away with to be the firewall/router...
...b) how simple and cheap a PC can I build to do this? How much processor, mobo & memory does it need?

If you have an older PC (old Pentium/celeron), you could set up a firewall using smoothwall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Almost any router uses NAT (network address translation) which makes your external IP unroutable internally. Plus with most you can setup access lists which permit or deny certain traffic.

Couple that with something like zonealarm and you have amazing protection for $$$ less than a hardware firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:08 pm 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Hey Just Hangin,

Gonna have to Vote with two other posters on the board and suggest either a HW Firewall (like SonicWall for example) or with TW and Smoothwall.

I love smoothwall - but honestly unless you find a machine for less than 200 bucks, a HW solution will probably be cheapest.

Cheers,
Tuathal
--------------
Are you Folding for a cure? Why not? Its easy, free, and doesn't hurt anyone - in fact it can only help!