Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crazy router troubles.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This is crazy... Ive had this Dlink DI-604 for over a year now, and I havn't had any troubles as of yet. Its connected to a thomson cable modem to comcast. I have updated the firmware but that was months ago and no trouble up till now.

Now all the sudden it just won't work. It routes traffic properly and all between computers. But when I tell it to renew IP it just says "timeout" I'm pretty darn sure comcast doesnt care about home lans or it would have lost ALOT of buisiness by now. I havn't changed its MAC address since I first got it and havn't screwed with settings in over 2 weeks. I reset the troublesome thing and even checked the cable connecting the router to the cable modem with my cable checker... still nothin.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? My comp is clean and the only one hooked up to the router (right now im just using the modem straight to my comp).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You try rebooting the cable modem? I had a similar situation where my sh1t ran solid for 2 years, then suddenly I couldn't grab an IP...rebooted the modem and oila! it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I dunno, I reset both of the damn things several times and nothin.

About an hour ago I said "fuck it" and used my wired/wirless linksys router, which works. I dont want to but I think I'm going to have to manually configure this sumbitch, IP, subnet, DNS and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

urmumsacow wrote:
I dunno, I reset both of the damn things several times and nothin.

About an hour ago I said "fuck it" and used my wired/wirless linksys router, which works. I dont want to but I think I'm going to have to manually configure this sumbitch, IP, subnet, DNS and all.

Unplug one at a time for 30 seconds or more and see if that helps.

Try downgrading the firmware to the last firmware that worked, then move up again and see if that reproduces the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I have the same router. I upgraded the Firmware to latest version and it runs fine. I would do a hard reset of the router (use a paper clip in the little hole and hold for 30 seconds) blowing it all away. Then do a DHCP release and renew in the router.

As long as you have latest Firmware should work. I think they released an even newer version recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Alright people, I guess I owe you an explination.

As it turns out it looks like the MAC address simply didn't wanna work. I have no clue why but it looks like the MAC address was banned from my ISP or something :shock:

Seriously, once I changed the wired DLink routers MAC to the same as the wireless ones it was able to obtain an IP.
When I set the wireless routers MAC to the DLink's old one, you guessed it, nothin. Couldn't obtain an IP.

Its crazy but by using a different MAC address I was able to get it working. Darn shame though cause now my IP address is big jumble of numbers, my last one was symetrical and easy to remember (all octets were 2 numbers and sort of flowed to each other). This one is a mess. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

InstigatorX wrote:
I have the same router. I upgraded the Firmware to latest version and it runs fine. I would do a hard reset of the router (use a paper clip in the little hole and hold for 30 seconds) blowing it all away. Then do a DHCP release and renew in the router.

As long as you have latest Firmware should work. I think they released an even newer version recently.

You need to only hit the reset button for 10 seconds, and/or pull the power lead for 30 secs and it will do a reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:17 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

urmumsacow wrote:
Alright people, I guess I owe you an explination.

As it turns out it looks like the MAC address simply didn't wanna work. I have no clue why but it looks like the MAC address was banned from my ISP or something :shock:

Seriously, once I changed the wired DLink routers MAC to the same as the wireless ones it was able to obtain an IP.
When I set the wireless routers MAC to the DLink's old one, you guessed it, nothin. Couldn't obtain an IP.

Its crazy but by using a different MAC address I was able to get it working. Darn shame though cause now my IP address is big jumble of numbers, my last one was symetrical and easy to remember (all octets were 2 numbers and sort of flowed to each other). This one is a mess. :(

Nice to see it's working.