Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok, I'm looking for a final solution. Despite the costs of doing so, I think I'm going to make my USB Receiver (WUSB54G) obsolete and buy a PCI Receiver (WMP54GS). Then, I'll buy the High Gain Antenna kits for each (HGA7T and HGA7S).

That should be about $150. I wish I had bought the PCI Receiver in the beginning...

OC and g.m.waters, you think this will solve the problem? Or at least make it a much smaller problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:58 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

pdjkfc wrote:
Ok, I'm looking for a final solution. Despite the costs of doing so, I think I'm going to make my USB Receiver (WUSB54G) obsolete and buy a PCI Receiver (WMP54GS). Then, I'll buy the High Gain Antenna kits for each (HGA7T and HGA7S).

That should be about $150. I wish I had bought the PCI Receiver in the beginning...

OC and g.m.waters, you think this will solve the problem? Or at least make it a much smaller problem?

I would buy the PCI reciever first, see how the connection is, then if you still need a better connection go for the high gain antenna kits.

A PCI reciever can be had for a lot less than $150

Edit: yeah, only about $60 for the reciever. That should get you about 300 feet indoors. ;)

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Belboz99 wrote:
A PCI reciever can be had for a lot less than $150.

Dan O.

$150 for the whole get up. Probably about $50 for each component.

I agree though, I'll buy the PCI receiver first and then see if I need the antennas.

Last edited by pdjkfc on Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:05 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

pdjkfc wrote:
The distance I'm working with is about at least 100 feet, you think this will work? I have a WRT54GS, are they compatible?

By the way, what is SMA?

Look at Linksys' website, www.linksys.com

i think it should have the WRT54GS listed as compatible.

SMA = well, i dont know what it stands for (google it) but it's the most popular type of connection jack between the antenna and the adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was just thinking, I'm only using USB 1.1. Do you think that's part of the problem? I understand why it would be slower, but would that contribute to it losing the signal?

Is the PCI Receiver still the better play?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just finally gotten sick of this. I've dealt with it for months now. Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
1.1 for g speeds no, but for b speeds should work.

another thing you can try is a powered usb hub, you may not have enough power avail to fully power the usb device. especially if you have lots of usb devices, that draw power from the plug

Post subject: WRT54G(router), WRE54G(Range Expander) and WMP54G (pci card)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:08 pm 

Hi,

Just skimmed through the thread, your best best is to upgrade your USB to a Linksys wireless pci card (a lot faster). The hardware mentioned in the subject area is what I am using in a 2 story home and it is the bomb! I get a 54Mbps Excellent signal on my second floor wireless pc. To make this happen I just hooked up a WRE54G (Range Expander) today. I also added a set of HGA7T antenna to my router on the first floor. The setup wizard on the Range Expander cd did not work for me, so I had to set it up manually. It only took me 20 to 30 minutes to set up the range expander. It is not as hard as the reviews I have read and you do not need to bridge. The WRE54G does WORK!