Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linksys Wireless-G Range Extender
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My computer is about 100 - 120 feet from my wireless router (Linksys WRT54GS, Verizon DSL) and the signal is absolutely horrible. When my computer is able to find the signal, the connection is always at the lowest rating and I'm lukcy if I get more than 3 KB/sec for downloads. And, just to annoy me I think, the connection is lost about every 20 minutes or so which requires me to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in again.

Needless to say, I'm not able to play any online games. Hell, I can't even stream movies or music. Unfortunately, my living arrangement won't allow me to decrease the distance between my computer and the router.

I thought I was destined to be mired in this wireless sesspool until my friend told me about wireless extenders. I looked into the Linksys model (WRE54G) and it claims to increase the range of a wireless network. I've read some reviews but I'd like to see a comprehensive review with various test at varying distances. Anybody own one? Will this solve my troubles?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:52 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Do you have an anntenna on your router or reciever?

I've heard that turning the anntenna in certain directions will increase reception.

AFIK, the G router should go far more than 100feet, unless you have several walls in between. The B router is said to have a range of at least 100feet.

Here's one link I found: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101160.asp

Heh, check out this link:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 029&depa=5

Notice, that's only a B router, but it ranges 100meters (about 328 feet). That might just do you good, I mean I know it's only a B router, but are you linking two computers together? Most broadband connections are only 0.75-3mpbs, so 11mbps would be plenty.

Edit:
I went looking some more and it seems that all routers have a range of 100m. You should really try turning that antenna in the right direction.

From what I understand, you want the antenna to point straight up if your on the same floor, or an an angle if your on a different floor. Basically, you want the antenna to point perpendicular to the direction you want it to go (IE, the computer).

Dan O.

Post subject: Re: Linksys Wireless-G Range Extender
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:03 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

pdjkfc wrote:
And, just to annoy me I think, the connection is lost about every 20 minutes or so which requires me to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in again.

Just to check, are you using a USB wireless adapter? Cause, if so, that's your problem.

If you have a laptop you should use PCMIA, if your on a desktop you should use PCI. I haven't heard too many people that were getting a decent range with a USB adapter.

Should have seen that sooner, would have saved me a lot of typing. :P

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My router has 2 antennas, both are pointed up and a little towards my computer. My receiver (WUSB54G) has one antenna, pointed up and little towards the router.

Several walls? Ha, I think I have about 4. I know, I should try and find a better place to put it, but I can't, this is the best situation I can muster.

Thanks for the router link, but I'd rather not buy a new router. Plus, frankly I've never heard of that brand and would rather choose based on previous positive experiences with a trusted brand (Linksys) over a stated specification.

I'd like to stick with Linksys products, but I've read some polar opposite reviews on the WRE54G. Tom's Networking shafted it saying that it's not the solution but users have given some good reviews saying that it helps their problems.

Last edited by pdjkfc on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yeah, I'm using the WUSB54G, a USB connection. I was going to get the PCI adapter, but because my computer is on the ground, I thought the signal would be weak. I was told that the higher up the receiver is, the better signal strength you'll get.

I also got the USB because I'm able to extend it further. I bought a 12 foot USB extension cable, so the receiver is actually about 15 feet or so from my computer and about 6 feet off the ground. I tried to get it as close to the router as possible.

Would a PCI be better? It'd be on the ground and 15 feet further away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:32 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

have both antenna's on the router pointed straight up and not pointed in different directions. i tried both situations with the former having the better signal strength.

try using the usb adapter alone without the extension cable. i dont know if this is a case of "cable loss" but you should try it anyway. also, try sticking the usb cable up on a wall where theres less interference with objects and people. use tape to stick it up on the wall.

oh, and since you dont have a Speedbooster adapter, then you should do a little research on the WAP54G. It has a repeater function and it's cheaper than the WRE54G. i dont know if it'll be compat. with the 'S' version, so research is a must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The antennas are fine. They are both parallel and are at probably a 80 degree angle towards the computer.

I was using the adapter cable alone before I got the extension and there really is no difference, to my dismay. I bought the cable hoping that getting it closer would help, but it hasn't helped a whole lot.

The receiver is about 6 feet off the ground. It's actually on a window sill so there's not much interference.

I'm going to look into the WAP54G. Would this replace my router or my receiver? About Speedbooster, I think it's compatible with the rest of the Wireless-G Linksys products.

Thanks for the help OC. If you have any other tips or suggestions, please tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:18 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

the WAP54G is not going to replace anything. all you have to do is set it up on a PC, then turn it on.

Look

Though, it might not be worth setting this up. the WRE54G, i would expect, is plug and play (or super easy to setup).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ocnoob wrote:
the WAP54G is not going to replace anything. all you have to do is set it up on a PC, then turn it on.

Look

Though, it might not be worth setting this up. the WRE54G, i would expect, is plug and play (or super easy to setup).

Quote:
WAP54G Repeater Setup
Be sure that you have the WAP54G plugged directly into one of the WRT54G’s numbered ports for the duration of the setup.

Doing this, the WAP54G would have to be plugged into the router. I'd prefer to not have a 30 foot long cable going through the house. That's the point of wireless...

Now the question section:
Is there anyway to make it wireless? This is one alternative to the WRE54G. Are there any others? Would it be better to get a PCI card receiver despite it being on the ground and 15 feet further away than the current USB receiver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:34 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

pdjkfc wrote:
Is there anyway to make it wireless? This is one alternative to the WRE54G. Are there any others? Would it be better to get a PCI card receiver despite it being on the ground and 15 feet further away than the current USB receiver?

15ft shouldn't matter. You should be able to get 300 with a decent adapter.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:53 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

pdjkfc wrote:
Quote:
WAP54G Repeater Setup
Be sure that you have the WAP54G plugged directly into one of the WRT54G’s numbered ports for the duration of the setup.

Doing this, the WAP54G would have to be plugged into the router. I'd prefer to not have a 30 foot long cable going through the house. That's the point of wireless...

I think you mis-understood the quote. The quote says that you only have to plug in the WAP54G to the WRT54G for the duration of the setup.

That means you can unplug it from the router after you're done setting up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:57 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

didn't read thru the thread, but what does the extender do that the Cantenna types can't?

from what i've seen, the Cantenna is at least $20 cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:04 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

cigar3tte wrote:
didn't read thru the thread, but what does the extender do that the Cantenna types can't?

from what i've seen, the Cantenna is at least $20 cheaper.

they're not omni-directional.

but, of course, if there's one adapter and no future plans for more, or if they are in the same direction, then the directional antenna would be useful. Then again, you need the same amount, or more strength (db) going back to have optimum performance.

if he had gone with a pci adapter with SMA connectors, then he could have this type of setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So, a PCI receiver and a Super Cantenna would be the best solution?

OC, Which would be better:
1) adding a WAP54G
2) adding a WRE54G
3) getting PCI receiver instead of a USB receiver.

Or should I get a PCI receiver and either a WAP54G or WRE54G?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:54 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

I'd try it in the order of 2, 1, 3. #2 seems most logical, since the WAP54G may not be compatible with a WRT54GS. #3 is just plain stupid, IMO. if you only have one PC then the usb adapter would be practically useless. You'd also have to add the cantenna/ directional antenna with your router and adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:50 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
i just upgraded my lynksys 54g antennas with their new kit, and it took a poor signal, computer on the floor with waterbed and two walls between, that would drop the connection at a sneeze, to a good connection that hasnt dropped since the upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
i just upgraded my lynksys 54g antennas with their new kit, and it took a poor signal, computer on the floor with waterbed and two walls between, that would drop the connection at a sneeze, to a good connection that hasnt dropped since the upgrade.

Can I get some model numbers? What distance would you say you're working with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:58 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

He was probably talking about this one

and this one

so friggin expensive, i'd just get the damn repeater.

edit: scratch that. it seems a little bit more logical when i think about it. (ease of installation).

however, in your situation, you cant put the SMA connector on the usb adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:23 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
that is the kit, but it increases the signal both ways, for b and g, and they have an antenna stand with an extension cable on it so you can move it around for the "best" spot :)

and i paid 3 bucks more at frys, but, no wait or shipping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The distance I'm working with is about at least 100 feet, you think this will work? I have a WRT54GS, are they compatible?

By the way, what is SMA?