Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless AC routers & USB 3.0 Interference
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:22 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Two questions actually...

First, I was doing some reading and some claim that USB 3.0 ports (either on the router or the computer) can cause wireless interference. Is this a big concern because I'm going to be upgrading my router and would like to get one with USb 3.0 on it for sharing a USB hard drive.

Second, what is the best Wireless AC router with USB 3.0 for around $100-$150? I don't have a house right now, but may be buying one in the next year or so and want a good router (one that would work good in a newer house that is 2 stories, for example). I don't care for Belkin or LInksys. I'd probably stick with Asus, Netgear or Dlink.

Post subject: Re: Wireless AC routers & USB 3.0 Interference
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I suppose I should ask you, do you even need wireless AC? If your network bandwidth is lacking that not even 600Mbps Wireless N can provide, then sure, go for it. Otherwise keep higher-end wireless N options in mind (plus it's a mature technology, less issues).

Otherwise, if USB 3.0 emitted enough EMI to affect 802.11 receivers and signals, it wouldn't even be allowed in the wild. Or at least it would be a universal thing and everyone would see it and there'd be a big stink about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:18 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The reason I was looking at AC was because I need a new router regardless. And I figured that even though the spec is still new, a regular high-end N-spec router would be the same price anyway. Plus I do like the idea of USB 3.0 on the router for sharing a disk drive or something else that needs high data transfer rates. I guess in reality, an N-spec router (such as the WNR3700 or the Asus RT66N) would be fine as well. I just don't want to be buying a new router in a year or two if and when I buy a larger place to live.

But I guess maybe I will wait on AC. At least until it is out of the "Draft" stage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

802.11ac also uses the 5GHz spectrum. Which means it may have potentially less range than 802.11n 2.4Ghz