Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming over Subnets? College dorm help...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:51 am 

Okay, folks, the story goes like this:

So, I'm a student at the Univeristy of Kentucky. My buds and I would like to play some Counter-Strike/Halo over a LAN. The problem is this, we cannot see each other in the game lists, nor can we share files/folders.

The Tech people that I've talked to (and believe me, the list is long) have been no help what-so-ever. The closest thing I've come to help is "it may be be because each modem has it's own subnet."

This is (I think) what she meant. In each dorm room in my residence hall there is a "cable modem." It looks to me more like a router. Well, it's both I suppose. It works like this, there's a coax cable running into it and four slots for ethernet cables. I can access my roommate's files/computer, but trying to access anyone outside of this room is hopeless. So, the lady said that each "modem" has it's own subnet. I guess the question is really:

What can I do so that my friends and I can connet to each other across this network? Preferably the solution would be a "soft" solution, one that doesn't involve us running cables between rooms, as this would be extremely inconvenient.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If its a router, they could possibly be blocking some of the traffic. If they are on seperate subnets or networks, then that may be the reason you don't see them in windoze (but I'm not a windoze networking dude). Did you try to conenct via the IP addr?

Now when you say:

Quote:
My buds and I would like to play some Counter-Strike/Halo over a LAN. The problem is this, we cannot see each other in the game lists, nor can we share files/folders.

What do you mean? The 'game list' you refer to in Counter Strike is hooked thru Steam so it shouldn't matter. If one of you is running a CS server you simply connect to the server via the IP addr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Sounds like your behind a proxy to me.

Make sure all your PC's have client for microsoft networking installed, file and printer sharing turned on, and you have an networked ip address, instead of a local one (i.e-192-172-10), etc etc.