Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help -> Networking PowerBook with Dell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm trying to network a family of Mac's to a Dell machine. Previously the network was a Mac only network (no PCs), but now they have Dell. The current problem is that the Dell cannot see the PowerBook. However, it can see the other Macs (iMac and a G4 Tower).

From what I've been told OS X's "Windows File Sharing" feature has been turned on (on all Mac's). When the Dell was first added to the network it could see the PowerBook (for a short period of time). After the Dell was rebooted it could no longer see the Powerbook. The reason why I say it can't "correctly" see the Powerbook is because when you go to My Network Places -> View Workgroup Computers, you can see the Powerbook but can't access it.

When you double click on the link you get the prompt for username and password, but after that information is entered the Dell comes back with "DIM8400/username", which makes me think the Dell is trying to access itself? All the computers are on a DHCP server so they do infact have different IP Addresses. One interesting thing is if you Right click -> and select properties XP gives you a permission error: "You do not have the appropriate access rights for this server. For more information, contact your network administrator."

Now onto the Mac end of this problem. All Macs that were configured to have access to the Dell can see the appropriate shared folders. It should be noted that the Mac firewall on the Powerbook has been shut off, but that didn't make any difference. Since then the Dell has been put on a new workgroup, but the problem still precise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:43 am 
Northwood
Northwood

hmm.........im thinking that there is a setting somewhere that you have to enable in order for the dell to access the folders from the macs. it cant really be the network since the dell sees the computers but just cant access the folders. im thinking that its a user permission issue. are all computers hook behind a a router? ummm.......one thing you can do is if the dell is using a winxp operating system, try performing a network wizard setup. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

keymaker wrote:
hmm.........im thinking that there is a setting somewhere that you have to enable in order for the dell to access the folders from the macs. it cant really be the network since the dell sees the computers but just cant access the folders. im thinking that its a user permission issue. are all computers hook behind a a router? ummm.......one thing you can do is if the dell is using a winxp operating system, try performing a network wizard setup. good luck

The thing is you can access the other Mac's through the Dell. I'm starting to think it a problem with the Powerbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My Mac friend created a new account on his Powerbook and everything is working fine now. Thanks for all the help guys.