Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless Confusion
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:41 pm 

Hi all! I just recently got a laptop (thar she be!) with wireless-g capabilities and want to utilize it with my wired home network. My whole house is wired, each room having a ethernet connection. leading to a central jucntion box where my cable modem, firewall and switch are located. Anyway, in my office, I have 3 devices connected to another switch. it is here that i want to place a wireless access point. here comes the noob question =) do i need a wireless router or a wirelss access point? im guessing I only need an access point since my network is already behind a firewall and adding another router/firewall would most likely give me network headaches. Anyway, if it is a wireless access point that I need, what would you recommend. Currently, all my netwrking devices are made by netgear (my firewall, 2x 8 port switches), but I have heard good things about linksys...any good? Also, what features are a must on an access point for maximal throughput and security. Thanks for any info and advice. In the meantime, back to google searching I go =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:50 am 

anyone? bumpety bump? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hey. I have the exact same setup. I run a USR5000 as the main router and HAD a DWL1000 WAP. Since I wanted to stream video I wanted to upgrade from the old B-stuff. I couldn't find a WAP I liked, so I bought the DI-624 wireless router. Instead of hooking it up per the manual (plug into the WAN port)...I built a roll cable and plugged the Ethernet from the existing router into one of the switch ports. I then just disabled all the router functions. works like a champ.

Now you could go straight into the WAN port and run router-to-router, but my guess (not tested) would be that may slow things down a bit since the wireless router would be looking at all packets at layer3 as opposed to layer2.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:01 am 

thx for the reply! so if i got a router/wap , i would ignore the uplink port (wan) on it and use the other ports...gotcha. good to know that i can disable the router functions on the combined router/wap box =) once again, thx for the reply, greatly appreciated =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:13 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

np. I'm sure all of the wireless routers out there can be used in a WAP ocnfiguration, but I would check the specific manufacturer before you buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:47 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

It'd be less painful to just use a WAP.

But wireless routers arent that much more expensive, so you could just use the router as a WAP, but make sure to disable all the router functions (DHCP, blah blah blah)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:30 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

SomeGuy wrote:
It'd be less painful to just use a WAP.

But wireless routers arent that much more expensive, so you could just use the router as a WAP, but make sure to disable all the router functions (DHCP, blah blah blah)

agreed...I actually had a hard time finding them in stores when I went looking...It was an impulsive day for me...I hadta have it that day! :lol:

I bought the DI-624, If I did it over again, I would go with a straight WAP...like the DWL-2100AP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:16 am 

just another quick question if you guys dont mind. I was just wondering if i got a router/wap, could i also use the switch functions on the router and the wap whilst disabling the firewall functions? or is that a no go. if not, does a switch/wap exist? ill do some googling in the meantime. thx for any further help =) the thought of wireless has me going all giddy =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:14 am 
Networking with a passion!
Networking with a passion!

I think for your network you should just get a wireless access point. Having another router / firewall is possibly going to give you problems in the long run...

www.dalantech.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:26 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Riks3 wrote:
just another quick question if you guys dont mind. I was just wondering if i got a router/wap, could i also use the switch functions on the router and the wap whilst disabling the firewall functions?

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:44 pm 

yuummmmm =) once again, thankyou.