Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network Share?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Where I work there are two people at the front office that always use floppy disks to transfer 250K files. These files aren't something you'd like to send via e-mail (payroll, expenses, etc...). Anyway my bossed asked me today to setup "network share" that's password protected. Problem is I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Note: Both machines are running XP Pro.

Post subject: Re: Network Share?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:10 am 

Do you have a server? If not, you could do this with a batch file if the file always has the same name or you could share it directly.

The batch file would look something like this:

@Echo Off
NET USE R: \\192.168.1.100\C$ /user:Administrator password
Copy "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\File.DOC" "R:\Documents and Settings\User2\My Documents\File.DOC"
NET USE R: /D

Post subject: Re: Network Share?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

RKilroy wrote:
Do you have a server? If not, you could do this with a batch file if the file always has the same name or you could share it directly.

The batch file would look something like this:

@Echo Off
NET USE R: \\192.168.1.100\C$ /user:Administrator password
Copy "C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\File.DOC" "R:\Documents and Settings\User2\My Documents\File.DOC"
NET USE R: /D
Thanks, I got it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Looks like I spoke to soon. So I'll explain what I want to accomplish again (just to refresh everybody's mind). I have two XP Pro machines on a Linux network (running Samba). I need to setup a secure (username & password) transfer setting.

Below is what I've done:
  • I created a new user account on my machine named "Testrun"
  • Created a folder under C:\ named Testrun
  • Under the sharing tab I set share name to: Testrun
  • Under Permissions I unchecked everyone, and added "Testrun" (also giving that account full access to whatever's in that folder)
  • Click OK
My problem now is that I can't access this folder over the network (From another Windows machine). I checked and I have Server running (which is needed for file sharing). I tried adding it to the "My Network Places", but it doesn't go through (I entered: \\computername\Testrun)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:10 am 

malebolgia wrote:
I tried adding it to the "My Network Places", but it doesn't go through (I entered: \\computername\Testrun)?

Since this is a server it should have a static IP address. You should be able to map the share with \\IP address\Testrun. Option two is to edit the LMHOST file on the machine you want to map from to add the Linux box and then use the name to map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:38 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

you don't need the server for file sharing if the files just need to go between the Windows XP Pro workstations.

first, from Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, scroll to the bottom and uncheck 'Use simple file sharing...'.

after that, you can just right-click on the folder that contacts the files you want to share and assign sharing, permissions, and passwords from there.