Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Airport Express
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:38 am 

I got an airport express and its got a WAN port on it. I was wondering if anyone was or knew if it was possiable to hook up a xBox to the WAN port if the unit it self is not in Server Mode but client mode. I was thinking the WAN port could be either or. Also if it can does the port need to be hooked into a switch or can it be used by its self?

Post subject: Re: Airport Express
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:15 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Trainlogan wrote:
I got an airport express and its got a WAN port on it. I was wondering if anyone was or knew if it was possiable to hook up a xBox to the WAN port if the unit it self is not in Server Mode but client mode. I was thinking the WAN port could be either or. Also if it can does the port need to be hooked into a switch or can it be used by its self?

why would you want to hook up an Xbox to the WAN in the first place? and if you're trying to put the Xbox on your network, you need to put it in a LAN port, not WAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:04 am 

The airport express has seceral functions and the guide says it can function in client mode. The port on the back is a regular RJ-45 port and i was wondering if there was a way to switch it from a WAN port to a regular port. I don't want to plug in a WAN device into it but put that port as a wireless bridge so i can connect my xbox. Ive read through alot of information on it and none of it is real clear as to if the port its self can be changed. The apple website does say that it can function in client mode which would make me think the port can be switched into client mode. I did try all the settings i could lastnight and couldn't seem to get the xbox to grab an ip address. Any one have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:10 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Trainlogan wrote:
The airport express has seceral functions and the guide says it can function in client mode. The port on the back is a regular RJ-45 port and i was wondering if there was a way to switch it from a WAN port to a regular port. I don't want to plug in a WAN device into it but put that port as a wireless bridge so i can connect my xbox. Ive read through alot of information on it and none of it is real clear as to if the port its self can be changed. The apple website does say that it can function in client mode which would make me think the port can be switched into client mode. I did try all the settings i could lastnight and couldn't seem to get the xbox to grab an ip address. Any one have any ideas?

provide a link to this device.

who do you expect to provide the Xbox with an IP address? does the Airport Express have a DHCP server?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:25 am 

The network is setup with a netgear wireless router acting as the DHCP server and then the Airport express connects to the Netgear router in client mode. Basicaly i want the Airport express to act as an ethernet bridge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:34 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Trainlogan wrote:
The network is setup with a netgear wireless router acting as the DHCP server and then the Airport express connects to the Netgear router in client mode. Basicaly i want the Airport express to act as an ethernet bridge

i'm not very familiar with the Airport Express, but it looks like an access point, which means you need to get a wireless adapter for the Xbox to connect to the Airport Express, and then to the network.