Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NAS to replace home build WHS V1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:35 am 

So this months issue has had me reading a bit on NAS devices and I'm considering upgrading my old home build Windows Home Server V1. I'm looking to get as much of the same functionality with the NAS device(s) as I get with my WHS.

My current setup is a home built WHS V1 box with room for 15 hard drives. Along with the fact that it is based on a 10 year old OS, I've recently had 4 drives fail on me and starting to have stability issues with the WHS side of things. I'm sitting at a little over 15TB of storage space with about 12TB of space used (6TB Data plus 6TB of folder duplication). The MOST CRITICAL of the files (about 2.5TB) on my WHS I backup to an external USB device and keep it off site and will continue to do so.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing to replace my WHS. I'm not sure that I have the best plan, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Purchase 2 WD MyCloud EX4s and put 4TB red label x2 in each one. I'm thinking that JBOD/spanning would be the best option for both devices. I would be able to have the first device be my primary device that is really the one replacing the WHS for daily use. The JBOD/spanning means that just like WHS, I wouldn't have to worry about folder sizes exceeding the actual size of the disk.

The second EX4 would be used as a backup device from the first EX4 (I think that this would eliminate the need for me to have to worry about setting up RAID 1 on the primary device). I would schedule it to perform nightly backups from NAS1 to NAS2.

I haven't really figured out how to handle a drive failure in NAS 1 when it occurs.

Any pointers or suggestions on what I'm thinking about doing for this setup? Am I overlooking anything that might bite me in the ass? I am looking to get this done pretty quickly as I'm kind of starting to worry about the stability of my WHS system.

The only other thing that I can think of is that I run a Minecraft server for the kids on the WHS, but I can easily move that to an old Laptop.

The other thing that I have considered is setting each of the devices up as RAID 1, both with 2 4TB drives and then splitting my data between them.

If I set the NAS up as RAID 1 and put 4 4TB drives into it, can I still do JBOD/spanning across the 4 drives?

Thanks for the input.