Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: using 2 wifi adapaters to convert from 2.4 to 5GHz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:24 am 
Willamette
Willamette

My friend and I were having a conversation, and he was wondering if you can use two wi-fi adapaters on a PC to convert a wireless signal from 2.4 GHz to 5GHz. I told him I think you can, however the computer would probably have to be set up as a either a relay or a router because it would have to convert to the 5GHz signal and then send the signal out through the second wi-fi adapater (if it can).

How can this be done (if it can be)?

(I know there are dual-band routers out there ,but he was wondering about this approach instead). He wants to try to get a stronger signal from a "public" wireless access where he lives (the building as a whole) shares a wireless signal. I suggested he just get a wi-fi range extender and be done. But he wants to go to a 5GHz band, which I told him the range would be greatly decreased since 5GHz doesn't travel through solid objects as well, and it's just shorter in general--from my reading. That and I think their internet is under 10Mbps anyways and that he wouldn't see any real benefit except maybe less interference since most people near him use basic routers that run on the 2.4 Ghz band. He says the signal is just weak, and I don't think converting to the 5GHz band is really going to help him any. Plus the building is brick anyways, so the walls are kind of thick between apartments. I don't know where the transmitter is located though.

Post subject: Re: using 2 wifi adapaters to convert from 2.4 to 5GHz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can't convert 2.4GHz signals into 5GHz signals on the receiver end. The broadcaster has to be using a 5GHz signal to begin with.

Post subject: Re: using 2 wifi adapaters to convert from 2.4 to 5GHz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 am 

I have the 2gb data plan for my iphone5 from Verizon. If I have the wifi on and have the little wifi sign up in the corner instead of the 3G/LTE up in the corner, am I still using up data even though the wifi is on? Also, when I'm using wifi, does iMessage still use data or does it use the wifi?