Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: replacement for default Networking program
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:09 pm 

I suspect this is a dumb question, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I hate the default network program that came with my ASUS wifi adapter. In someways I like it a bit better then the default Windows "Network and Sharing Center", but in other ways I like it less. Namely that it sometimes freezes up and crashes, but still continues to run despite my attempts to "End Process" it, and because of this I can't run a second instance and must reboot in order to solve the problem.

Windows "Network and Sharing Center", like a lot of the built in programs, doesn't excel at what it does either. I can't prioritize available, I can't as easily see what networks are in the area, I see no way of customizing the settings, etc.

To get to the point, are there other programs that will let me manage my network, such as viewing available networks, adjusting settings, etc? Searching on sites like download.com, only brings up Ping Testers and Virtual Router programs. Does this not exist?

Post subject: Re: replacement for default Networking program
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Quote:
are there other programs that will let me manage my network

Log into the router from a web browser. It's usually through the default gateway.

Quote:
such as viewing available networks

Have you not looked at the wireless icon in the notification area? If you click on it, it'll give you a list of all available networks that a publicly broadcast.

Quote:
adjusting settings, etc?

Like what?

Need to change the settings on the wireless adapter? Left pane in Network and Sharing Center is a item called "Change adapter settings"

Need to configure the saved networks? Same left panel under "Manage Wireless Networks". Unless this is Windows 8, if it is, you need a third party tool to access that list. But if you're already connected to a network, just pull up the list, right click and select "View Connection Properties".

And again, managing your network is through your router.

Post subject: Re: replacement for default Networking program
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 am 

Ok, fair enough. But to address the heart of my original question - is there a good third party replacement program that does this all better and more conveniently - I'm guessing the answer is "no" since you pointed me back to the default programs.

Here's the thing, every time I have some connectivity issues (which has been all the time, lately), I might end up having three (or more!) separate windows open. The ASUS network utility, the Windows Network and Sharing Center, and the router firmware (which I usually can't access, if connectivity is the issue). You can add the System Tray to that list as well.

I'm exaggerating a bit because I understand that the router and my desktops network adapter are separate devices and of course need separate interfaces. My main complaint is in having to juggle between the network card's default utility and windows default utility and being happy with neither.

Sorry to hum a tune and expect you to figure out the song, but I remember a long time ago someone putting a network utility tool on my old computer that showed all the available networks, allowed me to prioritize them, adjust separate settings for each one, and even showed a list of the ip addresses that were logged on to each network and whitelist or blacklist certain address. I figured with everyone going wireless these days, there would be plenty of programs that do this, but I can't seem to find them.