It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How can I combine wired network and wireless network (TP-Lin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:32 am 

Router Models : TL-WDR4300 (V1), Asus RT-N16
Operating Systems of devices on the network: W7, W8.1 and Android
Modem: Arris TM601A
Switch: Trendnet TEG-S16Dg

I have many rooms in my house hard-wired. However, not all. So, I need wifi.
I bought the WDR4300 to replace my Asus RT-N16 as I need more range and seemed to remember reading somewhere that the WDR4300 2.4Gz band would be better than the Asus 2.4Ghz band (although I may have just dreamed of reading that as I cannot find my source at this point). I do not have any scientific measuring equipment, but I am not noticing an appreciable difference. Neither router can get from the NE corner of my basement to the SW corner of my second floor. Should I have expected an appreciable difference??

Last edited by VerumSeeker on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Will I be better off just using my TP-Link WDR4300 as an
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you have a smartphone, there's an app called WiFi Analyzer that you can use. It's really nifty.

Otherwise, that's probably the only way you can go to get more range.

Post subject: Re: How can I combine wired network and wireless network (TP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 pm 

VerumSeeker wrote:
Router Models : TL-WDR4300 (V1), Asus RT-N16
Operating Systems of devices on the network: W7, W8.1 and Android
Modem: Arris TM601A
Switch: Trendnet TEG-S16Dg

I have many rooms in my house hard-wired. However, not all. So, I need wifi.
I bought the WDR4300 to replace my Asus RT-N16 as I need more range and seemed to remember reading somewhere that the WDR4300 2.4Gz band would be better than the Asus 2.4Ghz band (although I may have just dreamed of reading that as I cannot find my source at this point). I do not have any scientific measuring equipment, but I am not noticing an appreciable difference. Neither router can get from the NE corner of my basement to the SW corner of my second floor. Should I have expected an appreciable difference??

Trying again...
With two routers, what is the best way for me to get maximum distance without sacrificing speed?? I am not sure that I really understand the difference between an Access Point, a Bridge, a Repeater, and a Booster. But surely there is some configuration that is best for me??

My modem is in the NE corner of my basement and cannot be moved. My primary router is now also located in the NE corner of the basement. Since I have more than a few hard-wired ports in the basement my router is also connected to a switch (also located in the NE corner of the basement where all the termination gear is). I have one (1) available hard-wired port on the first floor of the middle of my house. It seems like I cannot move the primary router to this first floor location as I only have one port. So If I move the primary router and then connect the modem to the now slighlty remote router, I have no other port to connect the router back to the switch. I think that the middle of the first floor would be the ideal location for the router from a wifi perspective, but again with only one port, it does not seem viable.

But I am wondering if I could turn off the radio on the router in the basement (and just use it to connect the modem to the switch and serve as DHCP) and then install the second router on the first floor with radio turned on -- so it would be the only router (of the two) with wifi working but use the hard-wired connection to go through the switch back to the primary router (which is assigning addresses)?

Does this make sense? Is it possible?? Is there some configuration that I should be using instead?

What are my options?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can connect whatever router is attached to the modem with a wireless router that has an access point feature (I know Netgear routers have this) and it works pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Have you tried powerline adapters? I had somewhat the same problem and I discovered that no matter what you do wifi is still seriously limited. Powerline adapters work great and leave no wifi for anyone to hack. I installed a powerline adapter and it more than doubled my speeds vrs wifi (25mbps vrs 10mbps). It's not as good as a wired connection but it is way better than wifi. The powerline adapter I have can handle up to 500mbps with multiple HD streams going at once. At that point the only limiting factor is your ISP (and the wiring in your home). I have heard of others getting the max of 50mbps, I just have to figure out how to tweak the adapters......

Bruce

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I thought about powerline adapters, too. I think he is trying to not have to buy any new equipment. Besides, I'm figuring the Android is phone/tablet. Look at those routers' configuration pages. See if one can act as an access point like LatiosXT said. If not you should be able to get one fairly inexpensively. You can have both routers broadcasting if you want, as long as there is only one DHCP server. Set them to broadcast on different channels (or different frequencies, tailor it to your environment). For whatever portable devices you have you should be able to configure them for each 'hotspot' and have them connect automatically. I would think that two radios spaced out right should be able to cover the house.