Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I need help with my routers daily disconnect!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm 

I tried posting in the internet truck stop but it was possibly the wrong forum, apologies for that, the issue with my router is simply this, it disconnects everyday at around 8:54 pm my isp is att and my router is a motorolla based router. I would highly appreciate any help :)

Post subject: Re: I need help with my routers daily disconnect!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:51 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Have you tried disconnecting the router from the AT&T provided modem and just hooked up your PC to that modem by itself to see if it still exhibits this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:35 pm 

oops my bad i did say router did'nt i, its a modem that i purchased from walmart. I bought it because ive had multiple modems that att sent me burn out on me and i got tired of it... and yes ive tryed disconnecting it... reseting it... resetting it to defaults even... i just dont know why it continues to do this :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

It could be that signal levels to your modem aren't as strong as they should be or something else in your household is causing issues along the lines. Would you be able to post the signal levels and other statistics that your modem gives to you? I'd tell you where to look for them but I don't know which modem we're dealing with here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 pm 

well ill give you all i know off the top of my head about it, it isnt wireless but you mentioned signal levels, not sure if thats what you were basing it off of or what, but as far as the modem.... heres the modem it is a motorolla 3360, and it is not provided by att, not sure if it would make a difference... as it did the same thing before this modem.... if you could tell me where to find the other necessary information ill be happy to provide it, ty again for helping me with this issue, noone else has stepped forward on forums ive tried before ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

You should be able to access your modem's configuration page by typing 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.1 into a browser window, this is presuming that you do not have a router and just the modem. If you do have a router then that may change how you access the modem's interface. Unfortunatley I haven't been able to find a full fledged manual for this modem, just some quick start guides that tell very little about the unit, much less troubleshooting it. I will say that reading through Amazon and other reviews on this modem make me wonder if you might just have a bad unit because it hasn't exactly received flattering reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:06 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Something else occurred to me as I was re-reading your original post that I should have thought of the first time around. If it's consistently disconnecting the same time every day it makes me wonder if there's another device on the phone circuit in the household that's calling out during this timeframe and disrupting the DSL line. What devices do you have plugged into the phone line? Do all of them have filters installed? Do you happen to have an alarm system installed in your household?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:16 am 

yeah, att pretty much gave us to many filters so even when some have gone bad we have enough, all devices have filters.... and the only devices plugged in are phones....... and you also mentioned how it could be a bad unit, but it did the exact same thing with the previous modem that att provided, and it was a different model modem, and no, no alarm system

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 pm 

i failed to mention this in my previous post but, the modem that att provided prior was not the same model as this one.......hope this helps somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

You wouldn't have previously had the Motorola 2210 would you? Believe it or not the 3360 is the same modem, same circuitry just a different casing. Reading the reviews on Amazon really has me leaning to a faulty modem that you may be better off replacing with a completely different manufacturer. I'm really not sure at this point what is causing the problem. I know it's rather drastic but here are two things that I would try if you haven't already:

1) Remove all of the phones from the circuit (ie unplug them) for a day and see if the problem still occurs. Failing that remove them during the timeframe that the modem normally drops

2) Swap out all of the filters that you currently have with the spares that you have from AT&T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 pm 

alright, i will try the first one and see what happens and yes i did have the 2210 previously.. the reason i feel like the 2nd idea would not help is because ive replaced them multiple times already, and ive still had the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm 

i tried disconnecting the phones(only devices besides modem on the house line) aproximately 5mins before the disconnect time and it still disconnected at its usual time, i was going to unplug for a day, but parents wont let me so...... im assuming at this point the modem has something faulty in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Yep at this point it's most likely a faulty modem. See what other modems AT&T has available, if you have to get the same model again so be it but you might want to see if there are other options.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 am 

alright.... i doubt ill just buy another modem like these though... if it does it twice... its probally not a good idea to try again....... thanks for the help though ill see if i can get a new one soon.