Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New city, new house, new internet
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi folks,

I am looking for tips in setting up my home network. I am relocating from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay Area. My home is new construction and will be ready in about a month. I also get a whole new set of ISP choices.

I went with U-verse, since I will bundle my cell service, home phone (analog), internet and TV into one. In my area it's rated at 18M down fiber. Not really sure how this will work out, since I get 30M down in San Diego with Cox.

I currently have the Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. My PC is a self-built "dream machine" that handles really well. All other devices are wireless. Have a MacBook Pro, Laptop, 2 iPhones, and 3 iPads.

Any modem or router recommendations? Should I go with a modem AT&T provides? Should I immediately switch to a Google DNS server?

Just trying to plan ahead. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Post subject: Re: New city, new house, new internet
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm not too sure about the modem+routers ISPs provide. The last few times I've been in a house with one, I think the connection was limited to b/g.

So yea, I'd see if you can use your own modem. Radioshack sells these Motorola ones that I've seen used everywhere and they work just fine. I think the procedure is to call them to activate it (they have to have the modem's serial number so it can access the internet, otherwise it won't work). As for a router, I haven't had any problems with Netgear, but I've also had good experiences with LinkSys.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Yeah, I'm definitely not using a modem/router combo. No way in hell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:39 am 

with uverse tv, you are basically stuck with the big @$$ modem/router that they give you. you can always attach a secondary router to it and just use it as a modem but there are really no alternatives to the base modem. also, some apps for changing channels at home using a mobile device, will only work when connected to the wireless generated by the modem/router that they give you. i tried to figure out a way around it for a friend of mine who also has this service with no luck. one nice thing about it though, is that when you hook the tv boxes up to the coax lines for signal, you can use the ethernet port on the back as a bridge and plug in a wired device.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Great, so my wifi is going to suck???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I live in the Bay Area and pretty much your only decent choice for good bandwidth at the moment is the much dreaded Comcast. From a bandwidth perspective, they're great. We used to have a 10 Mbt up/50 Mbt down circuit from them, and it was pretty much everything it was advertised to be.
That said, Comcast wins the worst company in America award pretty consistently every year with good reason. They maintain a government enforced monopoly on the only decent high bandwidth last mile delivery service, and have actively killed off any and all competitors either via buying them outright or via less than scrupulous tactics like bringing civil suits against cities that want to install their own fiber to the home and claiming it's in the best interests of the consumers. There is evidence that they throttle streaming services because it threatens their lucrative pay per view services, and claim that this is simple network management and "traffic shaping".
As far as U-Verse, we've used them in the past as a back up (we're network engineers here, and downtime isn't an option). I was drastically unimpressed with their ability to deliver. Speeds were pretty lackluster, and being as it's DSL, you're limited by your distance to the central office and the condition of the wiring in your building.
We're currently looking into a wireless mesh network based option.
As far as your wireless speeds, you can just buy your own wireless router and plug it directly into the DSL modem then use that instead of the wireless built into it. One layer of NAT to NAT shouldn't cause you any issues, and there are ways around that via the firmware on the modem if it does. You can always disable the wireless router on the modem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Any other experience with U-verse?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 am 

I live in Chicago and similar to klaatu, I went with comcast since dsl was worthless in the older building i live in due to the age of the lines. My parents on the other hand were able to get the full blown U-verse in their new construction and didnt have any major issues with it, its not as fast as cable, but it was a nice constant connection. They were lucky with their new construction that they got fiber connected directly to the house for their connection instead of fiber to the node.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Tech comes Monday July 1st. I'll report how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Ok update 09/23/13

Finally got my desk together and PC set up. U-verse isn't so bad. I have 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 Apple TV's, a Roku 3, 2 U-verse cable boxes, and my printer on the wireless.

My PC is wired, I refuse to game on wireless. That includes mouse and keyboard! I'm getting 17.4 Mb/s down and 1.4 Mb/s up. I guess the bonus to new construction is having fiber all the way to my house!