Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Computers Won't Connect to Router
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:27 am 

Hey, I've been experiencing this problem for a few years now and after building the most recent computer I had done last night I'm at my wits end. I'm having trouble getting newly built computers to connect to our router/internet. We've plugged in computers we did not build as well as store bought computers and they all seem to connect without any hesitation. Whenever we build one, every computer we have ever done will not connect and it's not a random computer here or there, it's EVERY computer, EVERY time. I built my cousin one in December and it did the same thing, and the frustrating part is when I took it over to my aunt's house it connected perfectly. :evil:
I can't seem to even force the IPv4/6 and DNS settings to get it to connect. The only thing that has seemed to work since this started is installing a PCI Ethernet LAN card (which for building any new computer you shouldn't have to do at all). I don't know what in the router is stopping it from connecting to the on-board Ethernet but allowing it to connect to a card with no problem.

We're running an Airlink 101 300N router with the Comcast Modem.

I've tried looking up anything and everything there is to this problem and haven't had any luck.

Anyone have any insight as to why this is happening or a quick fix? I can take screens if needed of my settings or anything else so let me know please!

Thanks a ton,
Stephen

Post subject: Re: New Computers Won't Connect to Router
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:29 pm 

Certainly a strange sounding issue. When you connect these computers, does the computer get any ip address or a 169.x.x.x address? Do the lights on the Ethernet port on the card light up? Does the corresponding port on the router light up showing that a pc is connected? I would also try using a linux live cd or a WinPE live cd to see if the onboard Ethernet works when you are not using your OS. Also try turning off any 3rd party firewall you may have installed.

Post subject: Re: New Computers Won't Connect to Router
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am 

tke671 wrote:
Certainly a strange sounding issue. When you connect these computers, does the computer get any ip address or a 169.x.x.x address? Do the lights on the Ethernet port on the card light up? Does the corresponding port on the router light up showing that a pc is connected? I would also try using a linux live cd or a WinPE live cd to see if the onboard Ethernet works when you are not using your OS. Also try turning off any 3rd party firewall you may have installed.

One thing I did forget to mention was that I am running my Modem -> Wireless N Router -> 5 Port Hub (hard wired to router, not wireless, setup in basement) This happened with our old setup. Went out and bought the new router and hub and it didn't fix it. Have also tried hooking computers up straight to the router bypassing the hub and still no luck.

Onto your questions. I don't think it's even getting a 169 address but I'll have to plug a computer in and verify this (last I checked I don't recall seeing that), lights on the hub and ethernet port both come on as well as the activity lights. We only use our basic Windows firewalls but still no connectivity when turning it off.

Something I've never seen before also happened yesterday. Tried putting in a pci ethernet card and it still wouldn't even connect like it normally does.

I'll try a live cd and see where it ends up.