Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Advice on Network- Cat6 - Wireless or Combination
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 pm 

I just recently switched from DSL to Fiber- Optic. The problem is that my ISP provider has given me a combination modem- router that has wireless G signal. I live in a 2 story house,as you know G is only good for a short distance and very few obstacles, ie; doors walls etc. The combination modem router has gigabit ports on the back of it, so i can run CAT 6 cables. I have 5 computers, 2 laptops and a 4 smartphones used by 5 adults in my house. I have checked my network speed, it's 25 MB's download and 10 MB's upload. My question is would it be best to use only CAT 6 cables, a dual band wireless router, or a combination of both. Please remember that i have smartphones and laptops that need a wireless signal. I was recently using Dlink wireless network. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on Network- Cat6 - Wireless or Combination
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would run cables only if it's convenient to do so. No need to start drilling holes in your walls and ceilings to run CAT6 around. Unless that's something you don't mind doing.

You should probably get a 300Mbps + 300Mbps router if you're doing a lot of local streaming. Otherwise a regular 300Mbps one should suffice. And while there are 802.11ac routers around, you also need an adapter... which I'm sure none of your devices either have one or are compatible with it.