Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need to extend wireless range
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 pm 

Hi,

I am looking to extend the range and speed of my current Wi-fi network. I am using the Wireless N router provided by my ISP. My signal does not reach the bedrooms of my house (they are in the opposite end of the house two floors up). I want to know what the best way to extend my coverage is, without losing speed.

I can buy a new router and see if that helps, or add a second router to my network (if that is the best option I would need some explaining). I have also heard that range-boosters are a good option, except people say they slow down your overall internet speed.

Can someone please help me? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need to extend wireless range
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 am 

You can use a wireless repeater or extender to increase your wireless range. Usually a repeater is based on a single radio that toggles back and forth between a wireless client (which connects to your primary wireless router) and its own wireless AP (presumably closer to your more distant wireless devices). And yes, it has the *potential* to reduce your throughput since it has to spend approx. half the time being either a wireless client OR wireless AP. It can't do both at the same time. As with all radio, only two wireless stations can be communicating at the same time on the same freq, all others must wait. I say *potential* because unless your internet connection is faster than half your wireless speed, it's not going to matter. For example, if your ISP is delivering 10Mbps, and your wireless is capable of 30Mbps, and you add a wireless repeater which halves your wireless throughput to 15Mbps, the repeater is still faster than what the ISP can deliver. However, it will very likely reduce the throughput of *local* transfers since those usually have much greater capacity.

An extender differs from a repeater in that the former uses TWO radios, and therefore both the wireless client and wireless AP can use different freqs/channels, and thus no loss in throughput. However, repeaters usually cost more. Also, to make things a little more difficult, manufacturers often don't make this distinction between them. Many often use the terms interchangeably, which is unfortunate. So you really need to check the specs and ask questions before buying to be sure you get what you want.

Most ppl opt for the (single radio) repeater. In fact, many will use routers w/ third party firmware (e.g., dd-wrt) to configure these repeaters. You can also build your own extender by taking any wireless router, configuring it as an AP (no routing), and patching a wireless ethernet bridge (aka wireless client) to one of its LAN ports. And if you’re fortunate enough to already have the components in-hand (perhaps older, otherwise unused devices), it can be done relatively inexpensively.

Another option is to use powerline or MoCA as a substitute for ethernet cabling between the router and remote location, then dropping a wireless AP from there. This can often work better and more reliably in situations where you have dead zones that wireless simply can penetrate. If using powerline, I’d stick w/ adapters rated 500Mbps or better. For MoCA, 100Mbps or better (actual) is common, but (afaik) can’t coexist w/ an active satellite connection (cable is OK).

Post subject: Re: Need to extend wireless range
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I use a Linksys - Wireless-N Range Extender RE1000 / N300 (approx $60 USD)
I have a D-Link DIR-628 downstairs, and it's VERY difficult to get a signal 50 feet away upstairs in the back bedroom, so I setup this device.
So now the back bedroom is on the same level, and about 20 feet away (although the signal is weak, it's pretty solid)