Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router Died - Need Advice on getting new Gaming Router.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:33 pm 

I've used the Dlink 704-P for a long time now.. and its just died.. router goes on .. but nothing goes thru.. What i would like to know from all of u is whats a good cable/router that some of u have had no problems what so ever to use with gaming and hosting with. i know my way around one. but i've always had problems with the one i had when playing Pandora Tomorrow... so it dying is kinda a good thing.

I've heard link-sys are good for all round .. but i hear just as much with d-link.. but nothing on practical use.

The usage will only consist of web cam, file sharing, game hosting and p2p chat software ( trillian )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:39 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I think there are a lot of great ones out there. Mine is kinda old now, but runs like a champ (USR8000). Not sure I would recommend it if I had to go buy one today. I just purchased a wireless router (Dlink DI-624) which really amazed me on the features packed in it...but I use it as a WAP and actually bypass ALL routing features...

Linksys is phat in that it uses Linux as its OS, and there are MANY hacks out there for adding features and controlling the box in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:06 am 

Yeah so far .. from other boards.. they seem to be recommending linksys.. but i will and need to buy one today.. so i'll prolly be checking out prices... which model of the linksys do u know and would recemmend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:11 pm 

KraXed112 wrote:
Yeah so far .. from other boards.. they seem to be recommending linksys.. but i will and need to buy one today.. so i'll prolly be checking out prices... which model of the linksys do u know and would recemmend?

I use this one. I know its a MS but hey its excellent, Purchased 2 for myself, 1 used just to extend the range (so it could reach my garage) and for my dad, 2 friends, and grandmother. It has been discountinued but MS still supports it and its hard to find but cheap too. First one I bought was 140 now you can find it for 50 bux. CompUSA shows them sold out on its website but the one near my home still has them in the stores.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

MN-700 Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station, 802.11g

Manufacturer: Microsoft Networking

Mfg Part #: R84-00001

Product Number: 50319398

Price: $51.04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:36 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

ive heard great reviews about this linksys router: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 022&depa=0

i have no experience with this router but ive heard is pretty good and all. check it out. i have the linksys 4port firewall router BEFSX41 and its alright. i dont know the performance wise of it in hosting games but for regular web-surfing its pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

If you have an older machine, build your own dedicated true firewall and router. www.ipcop.org

This will do VPN's as well. It really gives you a lot of kick for your bricks: ton of functionality found in professional $500+ routers, such as Netscreens, but it only costs the cost of setting it up on a machine you don't mind dedicating to the chore. It uses IPtables, no IPCHAINS, so it's very secure, it's linux based so it's designed for networking and it's very efficient and fast. It has a web interface with a plethora of options.

Stop messing around with the crap in commercial stores. For home use, and/or small-medium business use I can't say enough about this baby.

I stuff mine at my internet demarcation point in the basement, run the green interface with a boundary switch and each floor has it's own switches with one single wire run. You can plug wireless connections in to it as well. Yellow interface is for servers, but you can still port forward on the green interface. Red interface is for the internet connection.