Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DHCP and dual routers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My setup consists of a ASUS AC66U router with a Linksys E1200. I have modified the Linksys E1200 to use the latest version of DD-WRT so that I can use that router to connect to a VPN service to allow me to connect as an USA resident for multiple sites (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon). I need a solution like this since I am using a PS3 which has no way to run a VPN client. Now, with the Asus AC66U I can connect a USB drive which uses DLNA and is visible to my PS3 but only on the same subnet. What settings can I change in the Linksys router to make it obtain all the IP addresses it needs from the Asus router but still allow it to connect to the VPN and give the PS3 USA access

Post subject: Re: DHCP and dual routers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:55 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

It should be a simple matter of turning off it's own DHCP server and setting its IP to be within the same subnet of IP addresses that the Asus router is handing out.

Post subject: Re: DHCP and dual routers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:12 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

You could also daisy chain it. Set the second router to run 10.1.3.X IP addresses on it's lan side run from 1st router land port to 2nd routers wan port. Viola everything thinks its under the first router while getting DHCP from the second. I run this at home as I provide free wifi from the first router but want to be protected from what might be infected computers using it, thus I have my second router secured and only I use it's connection.