Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Two cable modems on one connection?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:47 pm 

I would like to know if I can use two cable modems on one connection. I'm living in an apartment that I can't drill holes in the wall and I really don't want to trail wire through the house. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

you can get a good wireless router for less than $50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:13 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

i second the wireless router option. easy to configure, and plenty fast for a cable connection. you just have to configure it correctly.

d-link, linksys, microsoft, and netgear are trusted brands. im running a linksys right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:26 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Just out of curiosity, can this even be done?

I didn't think you could throw another modem on the same connection unless you get an additional IP from your ISP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:24 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

ocnoob wrote:
d-link, linksys, microsoft, and netgear are trusted brands. im running a linksys right now.

Don't bother with Microsoft.

They've discontinued all their wireless products and will only continue support their existing wireless products for the absolute legal minimum amount of time (2 years I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:58 pm 

IamDeMan is correct. If you buy or just get a second modem, it needs to be configured by your ISP, I don't think it will work otherwise.

And once they find out you have 2 modems, your bill will be double :( , at least thats the case here in NYC.

So, the best option is to use a wireless router. Linksys is all I'm familiar with, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:11 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

No you can't have two...or at least not that I have ever heard. wireless baby! It's what I did in my old condo when I had the same problem.

Post subject: 2 cable modems....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 pm 

I've used 2 cable modems on my roadrunner account about 1 year ago.. . I didn't have to do anything special.. my buddy brought his over and we played DAoC all weekend and no problems, bills or pissed off birds...

Not sure if that works everywhere, but it did in the houston area... Good luck man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:09 am 
Willamette
Willamette

IamDeMan wrote:
Just out of curiosity, can this even be done?

I didn't think you could throw another modem on the same connection unless you get an additional IP from your ISP.

You can take a two way splitter and run two legs of cable to two seperate modems, so yes, physically, it can be done.

However, you would be paying two seperate fee's from your cable company from having two different MAC addresses on your account.

As previously stated, a much cheaper and logical thing to do is buy a wired or wireless router. Since you live in an apartment complext, I would go with a wired router.

Run a cat 5e or 6 line from your modem to the WAN port of the router. From the router run cat cables to pc's.

Save $40/month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:27 pm 

Not to sound like I'm argueing with anyone here, but I've done that with the spliter on the RG6 CATV line and it did work.

However, I was never billed for having that done. I spoke with the people at RoadRunner in my area and they assured me that the 2nd ip isn't the cost behind their 2nd cable modem, that the installation and the possible bandwidth usage would be if it were to go out of the bounds of the agreement. (IE no running webservers.. :D ) And the purchase of the 2nd cable modem itself. However I already had the 2nd modem so it wasn't a problem for me.. I didn't pay a single penny.... so if you happen to have a spare cable modem around... try it.. if not, THEN buy the wi-fi for your pad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Aristo wrote:
my buddy brought his over

and

Aristo wrote:
However I already had the 2nd modem so it wasn't a problem for me..

Hey Aristo, do you mean that in both of your threads, the 2nd modem was your buddies? If that was not so, that just destroys some of what I understood about the ISP networks.

I figure that when you suscribe to their service, you will register the MAC address of the modem with their networks. Until you unsuscribe, that address is tied to you and your contract with the company. Since your friend most likely is using the same service, his modem also had it's MAC address registered with the ISP's network. So, I would not think that there would be any problem with that modem working at your house also (within the ISP's network). Kind of like a cell phone.

Of course this could be wrong, which is whay I am asking if the second modem in both of your threads are indeed your buddie's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:58 am 

yes it was a surboard from the same isp and I'm gussing your right about the mac addy being in their database... that may be the reason why I wasn't charged with anything...

BUT.. I'd try it anyway.. heheh just cuz I'm like that... then, since the dude CANT DRLL for cat5 in his place I'd go with WI-FI

Don't mean to yell at you, but some people didn't fully read the guys problem... he doesn't want wires run all over the place, and from the sounds of things, he doesn't know how to makeup cables or know anyone who would do it for free.. so wi-fi is his best bet IF he can't get the 2nd modem online ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me... I learned something new out of this too... hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:39 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Thread is a little old, but oh well. Best buy has wireless B routers for like $15 after rebates. Good deal.