Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I can see wireless connection with CommView but not with Win
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm 

So my girlfriend gave me her information when I disconnected cable so I could use her connection (using pdanet right now). I couldn't see her connection so I thought maybe her SSID wasn't being broadcast. So I used CommView to see where it was. I found it right away. It is being broadcast, but for some reason Windows doesn't see it. CommView shows it as having a good signal, 4 out of 5 bars, but for signal strength it says -50db, but to be fair it says that for every single connection available and may be because it's a trial program. Here's the info from CommView:

D-LinkIn:25:34:5A Is Access Point: Yes
Is Wireless Host: Yes
WEP/WPA: WPA-CCMP,WPA-TKIP
SSID: jtnasty (Infra.)
Signal Level: -50 dBm
MAC Address: 14:D6:4D:25:34:5A
IP Address: Unknown

So I have it set up to connect automatically even if the ssid isn't being broadcast, I have it set up for wpa2, tkip for encryption, I have her wireless password and double-checked that a few times to make sure I put it in right. Everything looks good.

BUt I can't see it from Windows so I can't even try to connect to it. How is it visible in the program and not windows? Is there an alternative program I can use for wireless connections? I have a Hawking HWDN1. I don't recall it having a wireless manager, but I'll check that also.