Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: File sharing through a modem-router connected to 2nd router
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 pm 

Hi there, not sure if this is a simple or difficult task. My service provider recently sent us a new wireless modem/router combo unit. Previously I had a modem connected to a linksys router which ran the wireless network and also connected to a switch to extend the wired network in the house.

When I shared files it was easy, the computers and devices could all see eachother.

Now however with this new modem, it's wireless strength is quite weak so I took the old linksys router and replaced it where the switch had been on the other side of the house. This solve the wireless trouble and everything worked just plugging it in. However most wireless connect to the linksys as well as the xbox and one other pc. However they can't seem to see the one computer directly connected to the modem.

How do I make this computer visable so we can share files between each other again?

Modem/Router IP: 192.168.2.1
Linksys Router IP: 192.168.1.1

If you need additional info let me know... I don't really have a clue what to even search for to resolve this, do I just need a program or just to put in proper addresses????

Haha I have no idea! Thanks anyone who can help :)

Post subject: Re: File sharing through a modem-router connected to 2nd rou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:19 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

58 wrote:
Hi there, not sure if this is a simple or difficult task. My service provider recently sent us a new wireless modem/router combo unit. Previously I had a modem connected to a linksys router which ran the wireless network and also connected to a switch to extend the wired network in the house.

When I shared files it was easy, the computers and devices could all see eachother.

Now however with this new modem, it's wireless strength is quite weak so I took the old linksys router and replaced it where the switch had been on the other side of the house. This solve the wireless trouble and everything worked just plugging it in. However most wireless connect to the linksys as well as the xbox and one other pc. However they can't seem to see the one computer directly connected to the modem.

How do I make this computer visable so we can share files between each other again?

Modem/Router IP: 192.168.2.1
Linksys Router IP: 192.168.1.1

If you need additional info let me know... I don't really have a clue what to even search for to resolve this, do I just need a program or just to put in proper addresses????

Haha I have no idea! Thanks anyone who can help :)

It looks like your routers are both giving out IP addresses (DHCP), so your xbox and 1 PC are on one subnet (192.168.1.x) and your other PC is on another subnet (192.168.2.x). The easiest solution is to disable DHCP on your Linksys router, so that the modem/router is the only DHCP server on your network and the Linksys router acts as a switch.

Post subject: Re: File sharing through a modem-router connected to 2nd rou
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

One of these days, I'll get around to writing that how-to, and stickying it.... :roll:

I think I see two issues here:
- the Linksys router is still configured as, well, a router;
- you probably connected the Linksys router to your network using its WAN (Internet) port, yes? Doing so will firewall anything on its LAN ports (including its wireless network) from the main network.

So.... how to set up a Linksys wireless router to run in "AP-Only" mode (which is what you want):
Cup wrote:
Unfortunately, setting up a Linksys router to operate in AP-only mode isn't all that intuitive...
Setup > basic setup.
-internet connection type: Automatic configuration DHCP
-network setup: local IP address to one on your subnet, but outside of your DHCP range (example: my Smoothwall's DHCP range is 192.168.0.100~199, my WRT54G is set to 192.168.0.254); subnet mask same as your network (default is 255.255.255.0); ignore gateway and local DNS (leave them blank.)
-DHCP settings:
--DHCP type: DHCP server
--DHCP server: disable
Click Save Settings.
Setup > advanced routing.
-operating mode: router.
-Dynamic routing: interface: disable.
Save Settings.
Congratulations! You've set up a Linksys wireless router to operate as an AP + switch only!
And, put a piece of tape over the Linksys' WAN port, so you're not tempted to use it.

A few words of warning:
- do all of the setup with a wired connection to the Linksys router. You don't want to be cursing a wireless connection that will be going thru several resets during this reconfig.
- do this with the Linksys not connected to your network. Don't connect it to your LAN until you're done configuring it.