Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with setting up a DNS server
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm trying to set up a DNS server on my network. I want it to host a internal domain and connect to my external domain as well. I'm using a dyndns domain externally (dragonfall.ath.cx). Internally I'd like it to use the same domain, though something like .local or whatever would be fine. I have some experience with DNS but I'm out of practice and it's been awhile since I set up a production DNS server. Also, I'm wondering what would be the best OS of choice. BIND seems to be recommended for security but DNS through Windows Server I know may be easier and definitely less trouble if I want to move to AD later on. I'll be using a old notebook for the DNS server (want to buillt-in UPS of the battery and it needs to be up before my esxi machine and other machines). I can use Server 2003/2008 or any version of Linux; I have Ubuntu server 11.10 on it right now.

What I basically need are some good guides, advice, and any good examples of what I need. Also, how do I set up my router for the DNS? Should the DNS I'm setting up be the only DNS server or should I keep one of them a public server?

Post subject: Re: Help with setting up a DNS server
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:31 pm 

Hey Smokex

well you can use win server xxxx would be easier to manage and move to AD as you mentioned.

Keep the DNS on the server than the router, it is always more secure.

once you have your DNS setup. Create an internal domain in IIS 6/7 and assign a header host e.g. yourdomain.local if yourdomain.xxx will be on the same server easy, add another host record yourdomain.xxx and bind it to the mian IP of the server. If it wont be on the same box then no need to worry, DNS will take care of it itself once you will define the DNS server address on the client PC(s) manually or thru DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Let me know if any questions.

Cheers