Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wifi Range
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm 

I live in the first floor of 6 story building. I have a Linksys WRT B/G Router. I was wondering if i was to upgrade my router you think I would hit my rooftop?
Router is about 3' from the window on the ground floor. I think it might be to far, but I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this?

I would like to put a access point (to extend the signal) mid-way but that would require me to put it in someones apartment and then bring a 2nd access point with me to the roof. would not be a issues since there are outlets. But that was another option I came up with.

Post subject: Re: Wifi Range
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Depends on how those old nyc buildings are built, and those are some tough thick walls/ceilings for wifi to get through. I'd be surprised if a consumer level wifi would even reach the 3rd level. On a commercial level, they would still put an access point on every level to retain signal quality (maybe more, depends on how big the building is); you are going through steel and concrete.

Alternatively, you could put a directional antenna next to your window and direct the signal straight up, then have an access point within line of site (or near the edge might work) to catch and rebroadcast. You can make your antenna booster, but there are commercial level ones you could buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 am 

Im actually in Queens now, in a new 'cheap built' building. So it does not have any of the thickness as my old building did.

I could probably do a directional antenna about my bedroom window, shooting up to the roof. And use a access point on the roof. What type of directional antenna you think I could use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 am 

I was looking at directional antennas and it seems they have the same connection for the antenna's on a router.

I assume I could install a access point and remove 1 antenna and add this directional antenna to it. And repeat the same thing on the roof.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am 

I found these guys www.radiolabs.com they are helpful.

I will probably get 1 of these http://www.radiolabs.com/products/anten ... ntenna.php
and buy 2 WR54G Linksys access points. I will connect one of these panel antennas to the linksys and try to shoot it up to the other access point on the roof. If not I will buy another one of these and do the samething.

I want to watch baseball, smoke a cigar, grill, and drink a scotch from my rooftop this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

sounds like an awesome summer... I await my invite. I'll bring the 6 pack. :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 pm 

If you are ever in Astoria, hit me up. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:47 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

oh cool, I got some cousins that live off of Atlantic ave by highland park. Haven't visited since 09.