Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: File Sharing/MyCloud and DDNS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

As a heads up, I only have basic knowledge with regard to networking, ddns and file sharing.

Goals:

First, access content on my TS-459 Pro+ remotely from anywhere (work mostly). It sounds like this can be accomplished via FTP or MyCloud. What are my best options here with security in mind?

Second, static IP/DNS for a game server. I host a game server for myself and some friends via an old pc in the house. Because I have a dynamic IP via my local ISP, I was going to setup something via DynDNS or OpenDNS. Googling around, I found similarities with the way MyCloud publishes itself and a DDNS works (correct me if I am wrong). With that, I wondered if it is possible to have my NAS box provide me with a static IP/DNS for gaming.

Any links to good articles would be great! I am searching around but there is so much information and most of it seems old or irreverent.

Edit: If a service like OpenDNS (since DYNDNS is no longer free) is the way to go, should I have any privacy concerns?

Another blurb I found was that just by registering my DIP with OpenDNS allows them to view/monitor all activity. Meaning, they can see every site I go to and everything I do on the net. Not a huge issue, nothing to hide, but I still don't like the idea.

Post subject: Re: File Sharing/MyCloud and DDNS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Humm... Didn't realize that DynDNS went to a paid only model now. I remember them having to do some work arounds to get to the free version six months ago when they only showed the paid only models.

Anyhow, with your QNAP NAS, they currently support the following DDNS providers (Qnap FAQ):

For game server hosting, try no-ip.com; a few friends use this for their TF2 and minecraft servers hosted at home. Works pretty good if dyndns isn't an option anymore. And I'm pretty sure you can't use your NAS box to host a game server since it uses their own proprietary OS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

DynDNS.org is still free for 1 host. If you have a old acct with more hosts, you can still use all the ones you set up, you just can't add anymore.

As far as your first question, there's several ways to go about it. One is to just use ftp with a user acct with limited/read only access. If your NAS supports it you can use secure FTP. Another option is to check if your NAS supports running a http server with ssl enabled. Some will allow you to do so with addons and then access a file management interface.

Your second question. What is your internet provider? Some assign ip by when you connect, others rotate them on a lease, others tie it to MAC addresses of the internet facing device, ie. router. Setting aside that, using dyndns would probably be a good idea. as long as you have a updated running, either in your router or another device on your LAN you shouldn't have much issue.

A bit more info would help in giving you a more concrete answer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:21 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm assuming all of your stuff is behind a router that gets its IP address from your ISP. You should be able to use your NAS to map your domain name to the IP address for all of your devices, since the IP address would be the same. However, if your router supports DynDNS, or an alternative, you should consider using that instead, in order to keep things more straight forward, and then you'd have to forward the ports for all of the services you want to run (you'll have to do this anyways).