Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Optimizing Wi-Fi Connection & Signal Strength
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I'd always had issues with my wireless internet connection since I moved to my current apartment several years ago, and when Win7 came out my old Linksys adapter simply wouldn't even install (I tried at least 15 different drivers, some of them custom hacks that were touted to work 100%). Forced into the decision to upgrade, I figured why not go big, so I picked up a D-Link Extreme-N adapter and an upgraded tripole antenna to maximize the connection range & strength. It worked REALLY well, plus with the extra signal range I'd be able to mooch off a bunch of faster connections than my own.

(For reference, I followed some of the ideas in these articles:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bea ... ,2390.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestor ... rking.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wi- ... ,2985.html)

Until about two months ago.. the DSL modem/router at home started acting up - even when I can connect to it without losing the signal, I have no internet access at all. Verizon said the modem had died & sent a replacement, but the problems persist. Also, all but one of the other networks around me have gone WPA2, and the last remaining network has a one-bar signal and barely maintains a connection. I'm pretty sure the no-internet problem is exclusively a problem with Verizon's shitty DSL and until I move OR convince my landlord to upgrade to Cable or FIOS it's never going to be resolved. So mooching is my only real alternative right now, and that's becoming a pain in the ass. The only thing that seems to keep the connection steady is a constant (once every 2-3 days) repositioning of the antenna and/or the pole configuration. I'm really losin' my mind on this one.

Post subject: Re: Optimizing Wi-Fi Connection & Signal Strength
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:45 am 

What model is your DSL modem?
What are your train rates (Down/Up)
What is your ordered rate?
How far away is your Netgear from where you surf?
Do you have florescent lights?
Are there any refrigerators/power lines between you and the netgear?
Are you using a grounded outlet?

Post subject: Re: Optimizing Wi-Fi Connection & Signal Strength
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am 

Two Options: Evil vs Nice guy

1. If you can mooch off someone else, can you access their router through the defaults? If so, if you can make your router a access point you can extend his signal.

2. If the mooch is a friend ask him if you can add access point to his network to extend his signal. cancel part of your service and maybe split the internet cost with him.

But both options require that point of failure, they if any problems happen you cant call for support. So you could be get cut off.

These could be options until you figure out whats wrong.