Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router on router
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:52 pm 

This issue is really getting under my skin. This my be a little complicated but I will try to be brief. I have a wireless G router modem from verizon in the garage where the coax comes in. From there it does not have great range, and is only wireless "g". From the modem router I have a cat5e cable going upstairs where I have another wireless router. I used to have a linksys wrt54g upstairs, it stopped funtioning after about 2 years of flawless service. I looked into replacing it, but it was going to cost $60 to $70. Since getting the linksys I have added a couple of devices that can operate on an N network so I thought I would come into the present and get an N wireless router. I purchased an Asus RT-N16 to act as the wireless router and disabled the wireless transmitter of the verizon "g" router in the garage. As with the linksys I changed the asus IP address to 192.168.2.1, which worked fine for the linksys. I did this because the verizon router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, which was the default for the asus. At first there was some kind of issue that prevented the asus from accessing the internet, but it finally took the new address. The kids kept turning off the power to the asus which ended up putting it into a recovery mode that it would not operate in. I returned it and got a replacement and set it up the same as the first asus, except that the power could not be turned off to it. It gave me an argument, just like the first asus, but then took the settings. It worked great for about a week. Then at random times the internet would not be accessable to my laptop or wife's e-reader but my daughters Kindle Fire got to the internet fine. Is there something wrong with my new asus router, the laptop ( and e-reader), or do I simple have a setting on the asus router wrong? I set it up as if it were the only router on the system. Do I need to change it so that it doesn't assign addresses? I have some wired gear connected to the verizon router and some connected to the asus. The asus is the only router transmitting. Please help this is driving me crazy.

Post subject: Re: Router on router
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Are there any firmware updates available for the ASUS router?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 am 

The asus rt-n16 router is running the latest firmware, and was out of the box. I have had this router for only a couple weeks.

Last edited by PcCowboy on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:27 am 

New update:
I was reading my post and thought that I needed to clarify something. The router does not bump us from the internet. It is when I start the laptop (or e-reader) and the computer tries to affiliate with the router, I am unable too. Then after 5 minutes, or more, the laptop is affiliated. I can not make it connect to the router, I try to force a connection but it will not. Windows troubleshooter says that it connot make a connection. It happens at the exact same with the laptop and e-reader, but not with the fire. I don't know if it is because the fire is never disconnected from the router, and the laptop and e-reader are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:40 am 

I am really surprised. I have been reading maxPC since the days of Boot, and even reading the forums on and off from the beginning. I have been amazed at some of the insight and knowledge displayed here. I put up an issue on the one board that I have all faith in and all I got in over a week is, 'is there a firmware update'. Really? That is all this board has to offer? You can handle this. Come on don’t dash my faith in you. Someone here has the answer that I need.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

My setup is Modem (192.168.1.1) port 1 to Internet port on Router (192.168.0.1). I'm not familiar with the ASUS routers, however it should be able to automatically receive an address. You may have to disable the DHCP from the modem and manually input the addresses. (IP and DNS)

HTH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am 

UPDATE.....
I returned the Asus router 2+ weeks ago. I now have a netgear wndr3700. The netgear took off like a champ. As soon as it was powered up and connected to the network it saw the verzion router/modem and changed it's own address. I have not had a lick of trouble since I connected it. Man does it have range. Thanks for the help anyway.