Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: To update firmware or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've got a D Link Dir-615 router that is still using the original firmware it was bought with 2 years ago. Recently I signed up for 10 meg speed internet but the speed test only shows about 3mps. I've got cat 5 cable running from the box outside straight to the router, no phone lines are used. It makes no difference whether the computer is right to the ethernet port or the signal comes over the wifi. Still only about 3 meg. I know if I tell the provider they'll just tell me it's because I didn't rent their router and I chose to use my D Link. Is this router limiting my speed? Would updating the firmware to a new version speed it up? If I do update it will the settings remain on the router? The tech set it up and I'm not sure I could get it to work on my own. Do I need a newer dual band more expensive router to hit the 10 meg speed? My son who lives nextdoor with the same service but using their Westell router does get the full 10 megs using the same speed test. No modem is used in this setup just a router. This is a fiber optic system too. Help, knowledgeable geeks!

Post subject: Re: To update firmware or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

what happens if you hook the computer directly to the ONT (basically if you uplug the network cable connected to the dlink and hook that directly to your pc's network card)

what speeds do you get.

if it is still 3..then their is something wrong with the service (or your pc.)

if it goes to 10 (or round about) then it is the router...probably.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

When I did what you suggested, I had no internet at all. Apparently my router is also a modem although I wasn't aware of that fact. So I'm still wondering if this router would benefit from a firmware update or I should be shopping for a newer dual band gigabit router?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:53 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Only way to tell if it will benefit is to try it and see. It is free after all. Then if that doesn't provide the speed increase I would look at buying.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:40 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

navyvet17 wrote:
When I did what you suggested, I had no internet at all. Apparently my router is also a modem although I wasn't aware of that fact. So I'm still wondering if this router would benefit from a firmware update or I should be shopping for a newer dual band gigabit router?

it isn't a modem also ... you might need to open (administrator) cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /renew" when hooking the network cable that goes to the wan port of the router to your pc directly

alternately if it still doesn't work ...call their support to get them to assist you on testing this

or just flash the router and try it.... a couple tips

disconnect the wan cable (and any other computers on lan besides the one doing the flash) and connect the router to the pc directly (wired) for the flash ..make sure the LAN address of the router is the default address while doing the flash

do not attempt to flash the router over WiFi as that would likely result in bricking

if you flash and it is still slow then call the ISP and ask them for assistance...if they give you crap about the router ask them for assistance testing it with the pc directly attached to the ONT... if it is still slow when you do that with them it will shut them up about your router..and then hopefully they can fix it... if it isn't slow on the pc then your router is the problem.

i assume you have tried power cycling the router already?? right??