Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Forced to buy Century link modem?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm switching internet providers and I am told that I have to lease a modem from Century Link for $7.49 (OUTRAGEOUS) a month. I would much rather just buy my own modem from Best Buy or anybody other than Century Link. I don't like paying their extorsion money. However I am informed by them that their DSL modem is the only one that will work properly with the 10 meg DSL they will be providing me. Is this true and if not, does anyone know of a reasonalbly priced modem that would be compatible with their system? I already have a good D-Link Dir 615 router I'm planning on using so I don't really need a modem/router----just a modem. Any ideas or tips?

Post subject: Re: Forced to buy Century link modem?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:17 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

They are feeding you BS. A third party modem will be fine, as long as you don't get that Actiontec one from '98*. I have Centurylink, and my third party modem has the EXACT same stuttering and sudden drops to 56k Dialup speeds as the one they gave me. If it is an option, DON'T GET CENTURYLINK! They have some major problems with their customer service and internet service.

*That was actually semi-serious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the info on the century link. I already know about their crappy customer service. We have them for the land line. They are the only available wired phone in the area. Had chartier cable but threw them off for Dish network. So Century link is about the only alternative. You mentioned a third party modem would work. Can you suggest any good makes or models?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Go to the network geeks at the dslreports.com forums. As much as I hate to tell you this isn't the place, I just don't have the experience they have. Some of them have been in the networking business for over 10 years. They will tell you EXACTLY what has the features each one has, and which one you should go with. However, check back here regularly, because one of our people will probably have a recommendation. We're kinda a small forum, so we don't have all the experts I have heard this forum had "way back when".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK, I'll check out the geeks and see what they have to say. Thanks again for the input.