Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: wireless n vs. g - which one is better/stonger?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Our company recently installed a wireless network for external clients to use. It uses a wireless N network to broadcast. Our building isn't special, but the the walls and floors are decently thick and each floor consists of rows and rows of cubicles.

Our department was checking out the new network and the signal was difficult to pick up - and we were inside the building! I commented that a wireless G network would have worked better because (even though N is faster) a G network was better over distance and was able to penetrate obstacles better.

Our department "IT expert" looked at me like I had 2 heads. He assured me I had no idea what I was talking about and the N network was better in every way compared to the G network.

It is possible I was thinking of the pre-n capabilities, but I thought real world results showed N networks couldn't perform to the theoretical capabilities, especially over distances and when obstacles were considered.

So the question is: is he right?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: wireless n vs. g - which one is better/stonger?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

btdog wrote:
So the question is: is he right?

I think you have two heads too...to yea, I think he's right. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

You aren't entirely wrong.

Electro-Magnetic (EM) waves are better able to penetrate objects at lower frequencies, so if the wireless N network was using the 5 GHz frequency (wireless G uses the 2.4 GHz frequency) then it would not be able to penetrate the building's structure as well as the wireless G; however, if the wireless N network was using the 2.4 GHz frequency, then there would be no difference.

You may want to look at some of the N-router reviews MaxPC did, especially the earlier ones, for some real-world numbers (they may also mention something about this).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I guess that's why it's easier to hear bass through the walls and ceiling in this house from my room than it is to hear the treble frequencies! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm 

EM? I have never heard of that. They call it radios for a reason.

Also no protocol or networking standard really performs at theatrical maximum as that is generally based solely on math. As soon as real world conditions are applied you do not come close. This is especially so for wireless.

N is a different standard of wireless but it is still wireless as we know it. It primarily adds MIMO using multiple antennas to pick up signal and send signal giving more bandwidth and greater distance due to a better chance of getting a complete signal.

As far as I know G uses only 2.4 but N will use 2.4 or 5 and depending on your hardware both at the same time. 5 is generally better because it is far less crowded whereas 2.4 is also used for lots of items like portable phones and wireless keyboards and mice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:02 pm 

Oh I forgot to mention. 2.4 I think will travel further technically because it is lower frequency but once you introduce all the spam on it that is usually their real world, 5 becomes a better choice.

There is a wireless standard being worked on that I think will go up to 1gb but its so high frequency it is like Bluetooth range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:09 am 
Willamette
Willamette

You are correct and both incorrect at the same time.

You are correct if:
- All clients use 802.11g wireless cards
- Some clients have N wireless cards and some have G wireless cards. If using a Draft N router and both N and G clients are connected at the same time, the slower device will force the router to slow down to talk to the other clients.

-If using N but using 5 then yes, the distance will be much less; usually maxes out at 75 feet.

You are incorrect if:
- Using N Network with only N clients and using 2.4. You will get a speed benefit and the range benefit.

Overall make sure you use only N clients and stay with 2.4 unless the place is small enough to cover the entire area.

Oh to take advantage of the speed and using N you MUST use a 40 channel and WPA2 / AES encryption
besides WPA / TKIP is easy to crack you won't get the speed benefit