Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network issue with WHS 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 am 

Hello -- I just built a WHS 2011 using the guide from here at Maximum PC:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how-_build_windows_home_server_muscle_no_drive_extender

So far everything works great except for one issue. The problem I'm having is that whenever I copy files into my shared WHS folders it takes forever. It practically shuts down my home network in that I can't even surf the web as the file is copying. I can copy files from the server without any problems. It's when I am copying files to the server the issue arises.

One thing I did was setup the server with a static ip address via Windows. I've updated the Ethernet drivers from the Zotac website to the latest they have listed. I have a D-Link DIR-655 router. It's my first time using WHS 2011 and I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen this behavior before and what I need to do to correct it.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Network issue with WHS 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

I would suggest setting your WHS back to DHCP and configuring a reservation for it in your router. Also, make sure the address you choose is in the same subnet as the rest of your network.

Post subject: Re: Network issue with WHS 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm 

Since everything seems to grind to a halt it would seem that something is wrong with the router. So maybe a firmware up date or something to that degree should be done first.

Now there is a network condition that can occur where any data destined for a host could be sent down all switch ports for an extended period. That generally (but not always) is an issue with that particular host. And this would easily cause that router to fall apart as it could not handle that kind of throughput.

Because of that I would also look deeply and the NIC on the server and make sure its up to snuff and working OK.