Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wake On LAN Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:55 am 

I have two computers running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and they both have the exact same network adapter: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

I have them both set EXACTLY the same in device manager. However, one works when I try to wake the computer remotely and the other does not. I use Logmein free every once in a while, usually to turn my computer off in the event of a lightening storm, and it works 100% of the time with one of my computers and NEVER with the other. Assuming Logmein is sending the same wake up packet to each of the computers, I am focusing on my NIC as the problem.

The only different, outside of some hard ware between the two computers is the HTPC (which turns on no problem) is set to sleep at 30 mins and the desktop (NEVER wakes on LAN) goes to sleep after 2 hours.

The HTPC works from the start, I didn't even have to set anything, worked from day one. The desktop had never worked.

I do have a Cisco router, but I never had to set anything in the router to make the HTPC work, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Will all that, does anyone have any ideas as to where to check/what to do? I have also checked all BIOD settings and they seem to be all set.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wake On LAN Issue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I would start by looking at the BIOS for a related setting that needs to be turned on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:01 am 

I have checked my BIOS settings. The option is marked PME on my MB and I have toggled it enabled and disabled a few time to just see it was "stuck" but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:01 pm 

You should also check the advanced settings on the NIC itself as that setting can exist there as well.

So you would go here

Device Manager -> NIC Card -> Properties of the Card -> and look for Power Management or something similar. Then look for "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Magic Packet"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm 

I have checked and rechecked those settings many times.

Here is something I just noticed. If my main PC (the one that can't be woken remotely) goes to sleep (or is off) my other computer (that can be woken remotely) becomes unavailable to be woken with LogMeIn. However, if the main PC is on and awake the other PC can then be woken with LogMeIn.

This is really confusing because I didn't think a router had anything to do with WOL... I even checked ALL of my routers settings (Linksys e4200) and couldn't find anything pertaining to WOL.

Any more thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:19 am 

FYI - I recently had nearly the same problem when I switched from an Intel Pro/1000 PCI adapter to an Intel Gigabit CT PCIE adapter. Wake on Lan had been working fine with the PCI card and did not with the Gigabit CT. Wrestled with settings for the adapter, Win7, BIOS, etc., but it was finally fixed when I moved the Gigabit CT from a PCIEx1 slot to a PCIEx16 slot. My mb is a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H - don't know if this will work with yours, but it's worth a try. Good luck.