Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows / Apple Subnet
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 pm 

I’m strong on computers but a little weak on my knowledge of routers and networks, and I have some questions I would like some help with.
Right now, I have a network set up using a Trendnet Gigabit TEW-633GR wireless router and a Netgear Prosafe Gigabit switch. The network services three Windows 7 64 bit PCs, a network laser printer, and a D-Link NAS drive. The wireless mode is shut off, all items are hardwired and work seamlessly.
I recently ordered an Apple iPad2 and want to use it wirelessly for guests that stop over, and also to access a music storage drive when I am on the road. But, I do NOT want the iPad to see the existing network in any way at any time.
My understanding is that I can take a Pogodrive (personal cloud storage drive with it’s own URL) that I already have and attach it to a SECOND wireless router and plug that second router into my existing router. Unless I am mistaken, this would create a subnet that would allow the iPad to wirelessly connect to the Internet but not be able to access anything of the PCs attached to the original (wireless disabled) router.
Then, guests in the house would be able to freely use the iPad to enjoy media, and while I am on the road, I can connect to the Pogodrive to access my music. I believe that the Pogodrive would be fairly secure but since it will only contain music, it’s not a big fear. My real intent is to prevent having to open any ports on the original PC side of the network or to expose it in any way.
Do I have this right? Do any Apple or Windows experts see a flaw in this setup? Would another Trendnet router for the subnet do the job, or do I need anything special? Thanks in advance for any advice!!