Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wifi speed check for Dlink DIR-655?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm 

I have a Dlink DIR-655 that is about 3 or 4 years old.

I'm starting to think that it is time to go. I have been having lots of VPN dropouts, and laptops losing connections periodically. The most pressing issue is that I cannot stream Media Center to my Xbox - it often hangs and is ridiculously slow to respond to commands. For a long time I thought my PC was the problem (MCE) but all these other symptoms makes me think the router is the problem.

Is there a way I can run a speed test, or run a diagnostic, to see if there is a problem with the router? Or should I do what I want to do and toss this and pick up a new one?

I don't want to waste electronics. I am running the latest firmware, and these issues didn't happen several months ago.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Wifi speed check for Dlink DIR-655?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you're running 1.35A firmware, knock is back to 1.34A. I've found this is the snappiest and most stable version. I think something is conflicting in their code when they disarmed Secure Spot. Perhaps poor Q&A on their part. These routers are rock solid, you shouldn't need to replace for another 5-10 years. If you are still having issues, contact Dlink customer service. They are fantastically efficient.

Then to optimize your setup, run SG TCP Optimizer. Make sure to match the slider to to the connection speed you have with your ISP. If you don't know, go to SpeedTest, run the test and and use that figure to set the slider. Your router and wifi/lan should now be perfectly setup and optimized.