Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Level of segregation of a guest network
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:19 am 

I am looking to get a router that can support a guest network and am particularly interested in getting one where the guest network is truly segregated from the non-guest network. Here are two examples of what I mean by that:

1 - Let's say I have computers x and y on the non-guest network and computer z on the guest network; if computer z gets a virus or piece of malware on it, I want to be certain that the crapware cannot hop from z to x or y

2 - Let's say that if someone is accessing another system's network using computer x or y (hypothetically via something like teamviewer or VPN connection to another party's network), any network activity on computer z should be "invisible" to computer x/y and the third-party who is attached via teamview or vpn

Are these goals possible with a single router that supports the guest network feature, or for stronger security would I be better if with something like two routers, where one supports the x and y computers (most secure part of the internal net) and the second router supports computer z (the "guest" computer that is less secure). Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Level of segregation of a guest network
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Well, that's the whole point of a Guest network on a wireless router - it creates a second wireless network for 'untrusted' computers, and is segregated from the main ('trusted') LAN (wired & wifi.)

If you want to be extra-anal about the segregation, you could run two routers in series (modem > Guest > Main); but, it's a PITA to configure that correctly.
Or, if you have an 'older', unused PC laying around, install Smoothwall Express on it. Even a low-spec'ed machine will run it fine; you need simply install three network cards (Red (to modem), Green (main LAN), and Purple (guest LAN)) in it, and connect switches and wireless APs (or, routers configured to run in AP-Only mode) to the Smoothwall box.
In Smoothwall, Purple is well and truly isolated from Green - nothing on Purple can 'see' anything on Green.
Very stable, very secure, and very configurable to suit your exact needs.