Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: want to verify something about Gb ethernet routers/switches
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I saw in one of the editionis of MaxPC (maybe 2-3 issues ago) someone asked about going gigabit from a older 10/100 config (i think it was in the ASk The Doctor section). Anyway, I remember something about the response of the question saying something about 'as long as you have Cat5e or Cat6 cable, you can run a network at Gb speeds even with a 10/100 switch.'

Is this in fact true?? I thought even the switch/router had to be "10/100/100 Gigabit" certified to run at bandwidth. I know that with the wiring you need Cat5e or Cat6 (or higher) to run at Gb speeds, but this sounded strange to me??? (I could be wrong, though.)

Reason for asking is that it sort of goes against everything I've been told about wiring a Gb network... as in you HAVE to use all gigabit-labelled hardware to get true 1Gb speeds, and that any hardware that is does not support Gb speeds (like a 10/100 hub/switch/router) will slow evertying to that speed.

Post subject: Re: want to verify something about Gb ethernet routers/switc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'd have to see the article, but what you laid out is not accurate.

You need a Gigabit capable switch to link at gigabit. If you have a gigabit NIC and you're connecting it to a 10/100 switch, the highest it'll link at is 100Base..as it will step down.

A switch though will allow you to talk to 100BaseT and 10BaseT connections and while you may be talking at gigabit to that switch, effectively, you'll still be talking at the fastest rate capable of other devices (be it 10Base or 100Base)

Post subject: Re: want to verify something about Gb ethernet routers/switc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:25 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That's what I thought. In order to operate at Gigabit speeds across the network, the end devices, cabling, and switches/routers need to support 1000Mb connections be Gigabit (as in Gb NICs in all devices, a Gb router/switch, and Cat5e or Cat6 cabling).