Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home based Cloud Computing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:28 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Have a couple projects in the works for our new studio and i was wondering if there was a way to wire 2 pcs together so i could have one as a dedicated file server and could back up files via a interconect wire instead of wireless.
Secondly if there was a way to get say a Mac Mini and chain it to a PC tower so it could utilize some of the hardware in the PC to boost it's own performance. Or to just get my Laptop to use some of the power of my desktop.

Post subject: Re: Home based Cloud Computing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

nekollx wrote:
Have a couple projects in the works for our new studio and i was wondering if there was a way to wire 2 pcs together so i could have one as a dedicated file server and could back up files via a interconect wire instead of wireless.

Yes. That is called 'networking'.

Quote:
Secondly if there was a way to get say a Mac Mini and chain it to a PC tower so it could utilize some of the hardware in the PC to boost it's own performance. Or to just get my Laptop to use some of the power of my desktop.

Boost it how?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Jipstyle wrote:
nekollx wrote:

Yes. That is called 'networking'.

Quote:

Boost it how?

really anything, take advantage of the gpu, save directly to the desktop hdds, really anything that would allow the desktop to boost performance of the mini/laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:18 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

If you have any long computational tasks, they can be shunted to the other PC.

Compiling large projects, rendering video or photos .. things whose processing time is measured in seconds or more.

Generally, none of these things should be done on a netbook or notebook anyway, with the exception of writing code which can be done on anything with a text editor.

Bear in mind that the slowest link on your PC is the network, so the time required to transfer data back and forth has to be recouped by the superior processing speed of the server / mainframe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Jipstyle wrote:
If you have any long computational tasks, they can be shunted to the other PC.

Compiling large projects, rendering video or photos .. things whose processing time is measured in seconds or more.

Generally, none of these things should be done on a netbook or notebook anyway, with the exception of writing code which can be done on anything with a text editor.

Bear in mind that the slowest link on your PC is the network, so the time required to transfer data back and forth has to be recouped by the superior processing speed of the server / mainframe.

How would I go about shunting such things. The problem I have (or as i see it) is for our magazine project we need a Mac to prevent incompatibilities with thinks like our printer, so i wanted to set up a mini Mac so everything is Mac formated but when it comes to say exporting the final Mag which is a reach CPU hog it would take advantage of the more powerful desktop.

Where ass my Laptop is set up and can do #d Rendering pretty well i'd like to be able to use the desktop for larger project without having to sync render files and object paths on 2 different pcs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That depends entirely on the software that you're using.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'd say a beowulf cluster, but I don't think I've ever heard of it done with just desktop machines that are also being utilized.

If you have 7 or 8 spare machines that you could dedicate you might be able to get something going...