Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I have a SIM card slot in my laptop but cant make use of it
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am 

I have an HP Envy 14, product number WV531AV. It has a SIM card slot above the battery, and I have a 3G SIM card (not the one from my phone). I looked through HP's website to try to find some appropriate drivers or software for it, and found something that looked hopeful. First, I downloaded and installed the driver for Qualcomm Gobi2000 drivers for the HP un2420 Mobile Broadband Module, which I found in the support page for my computer on HP's website. Then I downloaded the HP Connection Manager and tried installing that, but as the installation process was starting, it would stop and say "no WWAN device found, exiting installation."
Also, I couldn't find anything in device management to prove that there was a SIM card slot. Maybe I just didn't know what to look for, but there's that.
So now, I can see the hardware, but cannot do anything with it.

Any advice?

Post subject: Re: I have a SIM card slot in my laptop but cant make use of
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

There is an internal card and antenna that goes with it seperate from the wifi antenna and card. You probably don't have that.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:16 pm 

I think, based on trying a bunch of different things, that the driver installation process is not going through completely.
When I open the installation file, first, a window comes up describing the driver and what is required for it. The prerequisites are:
- An HP notebook with supported embedded mobile broadband module
- Power to the mobile broadband module must be ON (for SSM)
After I click next, I agree to the EULA. Then it asks me where to save the files, I keep it default and click next (which will overwrite the previous installation attempt). It then says please wait while the wizard extracts the files needed to install the drivers on your computer. Then it asks me whether to overwrite the files or not (because I tried it multiple times) but this only occurred after the first attempt. If I click 'yes to all' it extracts and saves all the files, then a window, similar to a command prompt window, pops up with the directory for the driver installation file as the title. This window stays for less than a minute, unchanging and simply goes away. Nothing happens after that. No matter what I do, the hardware doesn't show up in the device manager.
If the necessary complementary hardware is missing, why do I have a SIM slot at all? And if that is the case, can I install the right card myself?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:47 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

It's entirely possible that the SIM card slot is part of the basic chassis for that laptop - if that's the case, all of that model would have the slot, even if the supporting hardware wasn't spec'ed at build time.

Can you install the hardware? Most likely, yes (it's probably a mini-PCI or mini-PCIe card); the question is if you can get the thing.
But, it looks like you can, though - I did find it listed on the HP parts page for your laptop.
The HSPA card is $228. The SIM card board (I'm assuming that the board itself isn't there, and you have only the slot) is $93.10.
You'll likely need to tear down the laptop to see if you really do have the SIM board in there.