Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home network problems
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am having trouble connecting to my room mates computer on our linksys router. I can see his computer I just don't have permission to access it. How do I fix that? what more information do you need

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:53 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Create a username and password on his computer that matches the username and password you use to log into your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Really? that's it?
Sounds kinda odd to have to do that. Maybe if we both get rid of our password then it will work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

if you are using "simple file sharing" (in explorer, "tools" --> "folder options" in "view" tab at the bottom check box) under XP try and create the network shared folder under "shared documents" folder (hence the name) I think it will work without a password, you may need a user account on the box.

I don't like "simple file sharing", you lose privilege seperation and anyone who connects your network "accidentally" would have open access to all your files - without it you are forced to authenticate with the password (that is good trust me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I got my room mate to put a password on his computer and I we are still have problems accessing each others computer. But we see each others computers on the network?

any more ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:58 am 
Klamath
Klamath

First off: Do you want all access to his computer (like Remote Assistance) or just his hard drive and the files on it?

How to Share Your HDDs
If you two are the only people on your router, then it should be safe(ish) to just make your harddrives shared. Goto Windows Explorer (windows key + E) and right click on your harddrive(s) on your computer. Click "Sharing and Security..." It will say something like "If you understand the risks of sharing but still want to continue click here" click it.
Now check "Share this folder on the Network" and if you want to allow him to delete/modify your files too then check "Allow users to change my files"
If you don't want him to access your files, but you want to access his files then do the same thing on his computer and undo it from yours. If you want to be able to both modify each others' files then make your hard drives and his hard drives shared.
Hope that helps, it's not the most secure way of doing it (especially if you have a wireless router) but it should work.
---
Note: You may need to disable your firewall software (if you have ZoneAlarm it wont let you modify each others' hard drives).