Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: speed up network transfers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:57 am 

I need to know to speed up file transfers from one machine to the other. I have a backup server where I save all my important information on, when I need to I copy it over to my main machine. These transfer size varies from a few gigs up to 100 gigs. The current rate is 9 to 12MB. When I have large transfer size from an external disk via usb2.0. The transfer is well over 20MB. Is there a way to increase the speed of network file transfer? Its something I need to address because Its something I do all the time when doing backups or copying what I need from the server that have a large file sizes.

Backup server
2.4ghz amd 64 athlon
2 gigs RAM
cheap mobo with a nforce4 chipset (i got it used)
1 IDE drives with XP pro installed
3 SATA drives
NO RAID configurations

Main machine
windows 7 64
foxcon destroyer mobo
quadcore amd 3.0 ghz
dual nics
4 gigs RAM

Router
Netgear Wireless G wgr614 v9
My computers have a wired connection to the router. Only my Ipod uses wifi to connect to the router for internet.
cat5e ethernet.

Even the transfer from my main machine to backup server is 9 to 12MB. It also has dual RJ45 connections. Any way to take advantage of that? Help is always appreciated.

Post subject: Re: speed up network transfers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Get a router with a 1000mps switch and put 1000mps lan cards in your comps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Seconded.
Assuming that you got the case right (IOW, you're getting a transfer rate of 9-12MB(tytes)/second, not 9-12Mb(its)/second), you're basically maxing out the connection - 12MB/s = 96Mb/s.
If you want faster, you're going to need to upgrade to a Gigabit network. For the NICs, I'd highly recommend that you get Intel cards - the chipsets (and drivers) are rock-solid stable. Worth the extra few dollars that they cost.
Namely, I'd recommend this card if you need PCI, (this version if you need a low-profile backplate), and this card for PCIe (comes with both full- and half-height brackets.)
Note to you: these are OEM-package cards. You'll want to download the driver package from Intel (no disc in the "box.")

But, you don't necessarily need to replace the router (but, this is a good excuse to upgrade.....) - you could also buy a simple 10/100/1000 switch, and connect all of the PCs to it (with the switch then connected to the router.) An 8-port Gb switch can be had for ~$65; or, a newer router (like, say, a DIR-655) is <$100 (varies slightly, depending on sales.)
Advantage to switch: you get 7 Gb ports. Advantage to router: only one box (but, only 4 ports), and you also get an upgrade to an N-capable wireless network.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:47 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Seconded.
Assuming that you got the case right (IOW, you're getting a transfer rate of 9-12MB(tytes)/second, not 9-12Mb(its)/second), you're basically maxing out the connection - 12MB/s = 96Mb/s.
If you want faster, you're going to need to upgrade to a Gigabit network. For the NICs, I'd highly recommend that you get Intel cards - the chipsets (and drivers) are rock-solid stable. Worth the extra few dollars that they cost.
Namely, I'd recommend this card if you need PCI, (this version if you need a low-profile backplate), and this card for PCIe (comes with both full- and half-height brackets.)
Note to you: these are OEM-package cards. You'll want to download the driver package from Intel (no disc in the "box.")

But, you don't necessarily need to replace the router (but, this is a good excuse to upgrade.....) - you could also buy a simple 10/100/1000 switch, and connect all of the PCs to it (with the switch then connected to the router.) An 8-port Gb switch can be had for ~$65; or, a newer router (like, say, a DIR-655) is <$100 (varies slightly, depending on sales.)
Advantage to switch: you get 7 Gb ports. Advantage to router: only one box (but, only 4 ports), and you also get an upgrade to an N-capable wireless network.

Oh, and: since nothing's broke here, and it's more of a general "how do I?" network question, I'm going to move this to Network Nook. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm 

Thanks for the help. But now I got a new problem. I do have a gigabit switch laying around. I hooked it up and I was able to get faster file transfers. Around 75MB a second. My problem is that Windows 7 says I have unidentified public network, and now I can access the server that's connected to that switch. Let me explain the setup

On the first lan port I have it connected to my router which has the internet modem connected to it.
On the 2nd lan port is connected to the gigabit switch. The server is also connected to the switch.

I have internet access but I cant access the backup server. When I tested it out earlier I didnt have the router connected to computer, just the switch. But when I have both the router and switch connected is where I have problems. If I connect the switch to the router, all my computer does is search for an IP address but never gets one or gives up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:34 pm 

I think I might've fixed it. I set the switches defualt gateway manually to the routers gateway. I dont have a lot of faith in the fix but its working. It takes a few minutes for internet access to be available though. Im not sure thats the appropriate fix or not. Before the switch didnt even anything under default gateway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:22 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Unless it's a managed switch, there shouldn't be any configuration necessary (or, even, possible.)
Make and model of the Gb switch?

Question 2: how did you set up the dual connection on that desktop: ICS (which would be the wrong way), create a network bridge (which would be the right way, as it simply creates a pass-thru connection), or no configuration at all (you just plugged it in)?
For option 3, having connection wonkiness would be normal (until you set a defatul gateway for the primary NIC), as Windows would have a hard time telling which NIC to route internet traffic thru.

And, why use both NICs, anyways? It's not likely to help, and is likely to make things harder. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 pm 

The switch is a netgear G5605 v3 and I just plug it in. When I plug into the router both computers never get an ip address.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Um, OK... Assuming that you meant GS605 (not G5605 - I can't find that on Netgear's site; and, their switch model numbers start with GS, anyways...) It's an unmanaged switch. There's nothing to configure on it. It doesn't even have a network address. So, how did you "configure a default gateway" on it? :?

If your PCs can't even get an IP address when connected to the switch, something is seriously screwed up. Either the switch has severe hardware problems (read: it's dying/dead, or you're using the wrong wall wart with it), or things are likely miswired.
Things wired in the right order? Should go:
Code:
modem  ----->  router  ----->  switch
                 |               |
              PCs, etc        PCs, etc
              (optional)
And, having two NICs on one PC connected to both switch and router are likely to create some serious troubeshooting issues. I'd suggest not doing that at this time - get the basic setup right, before you try dual-connecting anything.
Going back to the wall wart: it is the one that came with the switch (or, if not, fits right and has the correct voltage & current ratings)? Wrong power supply = wierd operation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:14 pm 

I have the PCs setup like the chart. Both PCs are connected to the switch, the switch is connected to the router. Will the server can see my main computer on the network, but my main computer cant see server. But both have internet access. The way I assigned the default gateway was threw one of the nics. IP4 connectivity, properties, advanced and add it there. I even removed that.

EDIT: the main machine can see the server now, it just took a few minutes to finally see it. is that normal?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:58 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Ah, that makes more sense now (where you set the default gateway.)
And, it can be (sometimes) normal for another computer on the LAN to take a bit to show up, depending on how quickly everything starts talking to each other.

One thing to check (especially since you've (from my read) been using one, the other, or both NICs on your desktop: is your Network Type still set to Home, and is (minimally) Network Discovery still enabled? (if you're using a third-party firewall on either machine, check settings there, too.) Vista and Win7 will default a 'new' connection to Public (which disables discovery, and all sharing functions), unless you tell it otherwise (either up front, or by changing it later.)

If, after that, things are still acting funky, I'd suggest trying a reset of the network stack on all affected computers.
To do this: open a command prompt (Vista/Win7: Elevated (Run as Administrator) prompt), and run the following command:
Code:
netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt
Reboot when it's done.
Make sure that your Network Type is again set to Home (when Windows rediscovers the connection.) Work correctly now yes/no?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:51 am 

The problem still persists. When I start up the computer I have no internet access. What I have to do now is disable the nic and re-enable it, then I can access the internet. When I open up the network center the home icon between the globe and computer icons says multiple networks. The adapter settings also say 'unidentified network'.Nothing is plug into the 2nd nic. Ive tried the console command and I dont think it helped any.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:32 am 

I think Ifinally got everything fixed. Bonjour service was messing everything up so I disabled it. Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:55 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

You're welcome, I think (I'm not sure how much I actually helped on this one - you got it first... ;) )

But, yeah - Bonjour is known to do that (sometimes) on Windows machines. But, it's so random that it's easy to forget about it. Thanks for re-planting that one in my memory banks! :)

Anyways, glad you got it.

Regards,
Cup