Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: question about external HD on a network via router
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:46 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I have DLink DIR-655 router that has a USB port in the back to connect a printer or a hard disk. I was thinking of adding an external USB hard drive to this port so I can share it among my other computers (and so I don't have to leave a PC on all the time to act as a file server).

My question is how can I protect this drive from people accessing it from outside the network (ie. the Internet). The router is plugged into the Internet so I can share Internet with my other two PCs and my PS3.

Suggestions or ideas as to how to protect the drive from unauthorized access. I'm not so worried about viruses, but they are a bit of a concern to me, but not as much as unauthorized access. And if anyone know how you can have a PS3 act as a file storage unit (to store pictures, videos, music, etc) that would be accessible by other computers as well as a game system, please let me know too.

Post subject: Re: question about external HD on a network via router
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:31 pm 

Shouldnt putting a WEP on your router help?

Post subject: Re: question about external HD on a network via router
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:22 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

movi3king wrote:
Shouldnt putting a WEP on your router help?
That would (slightly) help prevent wireless access to the share, not access from across the internet. ;)
(BTW: WEP sucks. Very easily broken. Wireless should be run using WPA2-AES whenever possible.)

cbassett01 wrote:
My question is how can I protect this drive from people accessing it from outside the network (ie. the Internet).
Unless you've specifically forwarded the ports used for file & print sharing to the drive (or, specifically made it available (in the router config) to the internet (and, why would you do that?)), that should be a non-issue.
By its very nature, a router separates internal devices from the 'net - all that you 'see' from the outside is the router itself, plus anything that you've specifically forwarded a given port to. If you've forwarded no ports, you 'see' nothing but the router.
(side note: Best Practices for reducing your attack surface includes disabling 'remote admin acccess' to the router. If you haven't yet done so, you should, unless you have Very Good Reasons to leave it enabled.)

Want/need to (dis)prove that the shares on the network drive are accessable from outside the house? That's easy to do.
First, note your public IP address (you can get this from the router's admin pages.) Next, go off-site - work, library, Starbucks, whatever. Point Windows Explorer to \\<public_IP_address> - do you get any response?