Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Poor Ping in ping tests only... very strange problem.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Whenever I run the ping tests at http://www.pingtest.net or the one at dslreports.com I always score 500+ ms, while other computers on my network always score like 10-25ms.

Thing is, I have no ping problems, in left4dead2 I can consistently get ping as low as 20ms.

I'm hooked up to a netgear gigabit/wireless N router, thats hooked up to an actiontec fios router. All other computers are also hooked up to the netgear router. Because the fios router is kinda weird, it needs to be hooked up to both the WAN and Port 1 of the netgear.

When I ping my own NIC, i get 1ms response time, and no loss packets
When I ping the netgear, 1ms - no loss packets
When I ping the actiontec, 1ms - no loss packets
When I ping http://www.maximumpc.com, 52ms, 53ms, 52ms, 58ms - no loss packets

What's also strange is that, laptops hooked up to the network through wireless (G only, not N). Score 2x as much when it comes to uploading, compared to my wired PCs. While scoring the same download wise, and double digit ping.

Post subject: Re: Poor Ping in ping tests only... very strange problem.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

What you see may have levels to it.

If you run a ping test, you're going to the nearest node. San Jose or Dallas are the big ones. Those are the artery mainlines anyway. However, this very box you have on a network scores lower than the others on your internal network?

Some things stands out though: LFD2 being consistent, and your ISP is Verizon. Dedicated servers should show some discrepancies and Fios isn't widespread knowledge/use. I would think you should have anywhere from 25 to 300 ping on LFD's servers, and then perhaps bandwidth is king on FIOS and not ping? FIOS has to jump on NonFios lines to take some hops there...but per computer you're not seeing uniformity.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

OK, I did a bit more testing, it seems all my wired PCs are seeing this 500+ ping in ping tests, but getting double digit ping when I ping web sites. So I thought, maybe the netgear was adding latency, so I wired my PCs directly to the actiontec, bypassing the netgear. The ping tests are still showing 500+. My wireless PCs are all scoring 10ms - 20ms in the same ping tests, regardless whether being connected to the netgear or the actiontec.

And, yes I've noticed I score very differently on ping tests depending on the test. But the wireless PCs score very consistently in all three.

What do you mean by "LFD2"? I see uniformity in ping test scores based only on connection type, wireless/wired. I have three wired PCs (desktops) all showing these consistently high ping tests scores. While the 3 wireless PCs (laptops: old compaq, old dell, alienware m11x) are all showing low and consistent ping in the same ping tests.

I forgot to add it, but the tweak test from http://www.dslreports.com said something about my MTU being too low, and it could be hampering my upload speed. Sure enough, my wireless PCs are showing higher uploading throughput than my wired PCs.

Also, you're right about a general lack of knowledge when it comes to fios. For a long time after rollout, many people believed the settings, and setup required to bridge another router onto Fios's equipment meant losing features such as guide, vod, widgets in the fios STBs. This is why I have to connect the netgear/actiontec to each other's WAN and Port1, which sounds, and looks really redundant. It was a fix discovered by and end user, this configuration is not supported by verizon, and I can't expect tech support while utilizing it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

These are results from a 7 yr old laptop connected to the netgear router, using wireless G.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

tried a different test and got vastly different results, thought I dont understand the part about TCP waiting too long