Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help using laptop as wireless access point
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I just got my new HTC G2 for T-Mobile. My house is very funky and I don't get much of a signal inside. I have an old laptop running Xp SP3. I would like to connect the laptop to my router via wire and then use the wireless built in to the laptop to provide wifi access for my phone. I don't have the funds for a WiFi router and everything in my house is hard wired anyway. I followed a how-to I found here but no success.

I have enabled ICS on the wired connection on the laptop and created an ad-hoc wifi network. I try to connect to it on the laptop and it says I'm connected but it keeps turning WEP off and I cannot find the network from my phone.

Any suggestions? Any better guides out there I can follow? I've looked over google but haven't found anything better then the one I used.

Thanks much,
Lax

Post subject: Re: Help using laptop as wireless access point
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:13 am 

Make sure the wired and wireless networks are not using the same IP subnet. By default, ICS uses 192.168.0.x. And normally the shared network has a public IP, so no conflicts. However, if your shared network terminates at your router, it is possible (if unlikely) your router and ICS are both using 192.168.0.x. I'm not saying this is your current problem, but it's something you need to check. You never want two adjacent networks use the same IP subnet.