Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I over thinking this?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 am 

A friend of mine manages a small local business. The business has a private wireless network available for business purposes and wants to also have a public wireless network for customers to use. So basically there would be 2 wireless networks at the business...Business Public and Business Private.

The owner was going to hire someone to do this but my friend wanted to ask around about this first. The concept seems simple enough to me. They would need 2 separate wireless routers as well as some kind of switch or route to split from the modem.

Am I overlooking something or is that all it would really take? Or is there any kind of routers out there which you can set up more than 1 wireless network on. That would probably take care of the problem with 1 piece of hardware as opposed to 3.

Post subject: Re: Am I over thinking this?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

If guests are going to be offered unfiltered access to the internet, then it is a simple solution: buy a router with guest access.

I purchased the Netgear WNDR3700 recently and so far it has been a rock solid router.

There are two networks, 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, and each network has an optional guest network that will be granted access to the internet but not to the internal network.

If he wants a business end router, I suggest something like the Cisco WRVS4400N, which can manage network ports and put them on a different subnet. Then you can add a WAP and place it on the secluded port. The only advantage over the Netgear is that the Cisco offers VPN access.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Motorola AP7131 is a nice business class access point that would do what you want. But it costs more money (not sure what he wants to spend). Moto has a few models to choose from. I think most of them support having a guest portal that you can control the landing page they see. So you could have them click an agree button not to do evil. Kind of nice from a liability side. I like setting up Moto APs, very nice from an admin stand point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=103492

^^^ basically the same question, read it in its entirety, might help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:20 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Or, you can grab a PC from the spare-parts pile, install Smoothwall Express on it, and be pretty much done. Use the existing wireless router in "AP-only" mode on one subnet, and get another wireless router (or AP) for wireless on the other (again, running the router in "AP-only" mode.)
The 'purple' network (which is meant to be used for wireless) is fully segregated from the 'green' (meant for LAN) network. The customers have zero access to the corporate network; but, you're only using one box (and, a very stable, and very tweakable box at that) at the core of the network.

Yes, I'm pimping Smoothwall again. But, that's because it just works so damned well, and will run on damned-near anything.