Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: using multiple network adapters ??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi. I have a setup where I use two network adapters in my computer, one wireless, and one wired, the point being to get access to both networks.

I had trouble doing this with Windows, it sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. More specifically, sometimes I got access to one of the networks, sometimes the other, and sometimes, both (what I want). Now I'm using Linux, and guess what -- the same problem. The only time I can be sure that one of the cards will work is to disable the other. When I issue the ping command, it shows me that it is only pinging from one of the devices (usually the first one that was enabled). I want it to ping from both.

Currently I'm using Ubuntu 4.10 (built on Debian). Does anyone know what I need to do to get both cards working simultaneously?

Please, if you can, be VERY specific. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Unless you are using one as primary and one as secondary I don't see the purpose of what you are trying to accomplish. The best bet is to use a routing protocol between the host (with the two NICs) and the router (if your router supports it of course).

In trying to send packets out both NICs, you could actually slow down your connect speeds. Do both network connections eventually go back to the same Egress router? or do you have multiple broadband connections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding...

I have a wired LAN a well as a Wireless network, both of which I want to be able to access files. Internet access is only coming from the wireless connection...

Does that help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a similiar setup.

I had to set up wireless as the default 192.x.x.x addresses and a wired gigabit switch on 169.254.x.x and it is standalone, no uplink.

I treat the wireless 192.x as DMZ, maybe over paranoid since it has NAT and a basic firewall on the router but I don't have MAC include-only so I put an IDS on it to detect rouge MACs on a print server (wifey wants to print on her laptop anyhow was convenient)

I have a linux workstation that acts as a NAT gateway to the PCs that don't have wireless or a presence on the 192 net, so it is much more secure and I am comfortable lifting local firewall rules since I am more confident about IPtables on linux than the wireless.

I am not sure if you want seperate networks, I think it is a bit more secure that way and makes routing simple.

If you don't want network isolation, maybe load-balancing or virtual trunking is more your goal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:28 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

okay, it seems that when I ran each of the cards to different networks,

my wireless card on: 192.168.x.x
and my LAN connection on: 10.x.x.x

(and switched all the other equipment's IP addresses to match the arrangement)

...the problem took care of itself. It was a "routing issue" but this seems to solved it. Thanks everyone for their input...