Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Router Connectivity Problem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello. I have a brand new Linksys E1000 Wireless Router connected to a standard Motorola Comcast modem. I've been having this issue where the internet will drop out for all connected clients, randomly. The router generally serves 4-6 computers. (I thought it was a virus on my computer at first, but turns out my Android phone also has the same problem, and then my roommates complained also...). When the internet disconnects, it doesn't really disconnect. It still says connected to the wireless network...it's just that I cannot ping from command line and load webpages.

Any ideas? Need any more information? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Router Connectivity Problem
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well first thing I would do is update the firmware

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

dmfaber1 wrote:
Well first thing I would do is update the firmware

My suggestion as well, also check to make sure the router is not overheating.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Alright thanks guys I'll check the firmware and the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Not sure where you guys get these things from buy I have never heard of a router overheating. Also I doubt the firmware would cause the connection to drop. What you might want to do is try recycling the modem and router. Also make sure the issue is not with the modem itself. Check the logs of the modem or call up comcast and ask them to look at the history to see if they notice anything. They can run line checks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Flipper wrote:
Not sure where you guys get these things from buy I have never heard of a router overheating. Also I doubt the firmware would cause the connection to drop. What you might want to do is try recycling the modem and router. Also make sure the issue is not with the modem itself. Check the logs of the modem or call up comcast and ask them to look at the history to see if they notice anything. They can run line checks.

I get it from experience. Anything can overheat, when routers overheat they drop connection. It was an issue with the older linksys routers, because the internal fans would fail. I haven't heard of any issues with the newer ones, but if it's in a closet with a bunch of other electronics it's possible. Recycling the modem and router is fine if you only have to do it every once in a while, but if you have to do it everyday, then there is another problem.

Here is another possible fix I found with a quick search on the linksys forums.

Quote:
Open the router's setup page and Under the Setup tab,Make sure that the "Keep Alive" option should be checked.Also,change the MTU value to 1400.Power Cycle the router and check.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 am 

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the router has it's DHCP service turned off. With a brand new setup out of the box, the router is set to send IP addresses to all devices, so it is conflicting with the cable modem, which has its own DHCP service running. That would be the easiest way to do it.

I have my router set to login on my dsl, so my dsl modem is just used as a bridge. I'm not sure if the cable modem can be set up the same way, but it would be worth looking into. If you did that, then you would only have one device to worry about messing up.